Search the forum,

Discuss 20mm trowel gives what depth of adhesive? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

daneaston

Hi - I'm going to tile my porch Victorian style, using 2"x2" unglazed ceramic tiles. But I need to bring it up to the level of my hallway.

I'm trying to calculate the depth needed for the subfloor, how to I know how deep the adhesive will be once the tiles are bedded?

Also, is using the 20mm notch correct for such small floor tiles?

T

Time's Ran Out

20mm trowel is too deep for 50x50mm tiles!
Consider 8mm teeth and that should give you 5/6mm bed but of course that will depend on how hard you push the tile down!
Don't ask the adhesive to do all the work, most jobs are defined by the preparation so build up the subfloor with a levelling compound first; if it's a solid base, or use a cement tile backer board; if the substrate is stable and wood.

Welcome to this forum and enjoy!

S

Stef

Hi - I'm going to tile my porch Victorian style, using 2"x2" unglazed ceramic tiles. But I need to bring it up to the level of my hallway.

I'm trying to calculate the depth needed for the subfloor, how to I know how deep the adhesive will be once the tiles are bedded?

Also, is using the 20mm notch correct for such small floor tiles?

Is your trowel a 20mm "round" notch?

D

daneaston

20mm trowel is too deep for 50x50mm tiles!
most jobs are defined by the preparation so build up the subfloor with a levelling compound first; if it's a solid base, or use a cement tile backer board; if the substrate is stable and wood.

Oh, that's not what I expected. The area is only about 0.5m sq (essentially a large door mat), so I was going to lay Hardie backerboard onto the concrete with some adhesive and then tile on top. The concrete is about 30mm lower than the floorboards of the hallway, so 12mm backerboard, 12mm tiles plus two lots of adhesive should nicely bring it up to the correct level.

Shouldn't it...?!

T

Time's Ran Out

Please read the Hardie Q&A on their specifications sheet and you will find they do not recommend their product onto concrete!
As the picture becomes clearer and the area more defined, it may be easier to purchase an insulating board to your required depth and fix that.
Hope this comes up to expectations!

D

daneaston

Please read the Hardie Q&A on their specifications sheet and you will find they do not recommend their product onto concrete!
As the picture becomes clearer and the area more defined, it may be easier to purchase an insulating board to your required depth and fix that.

Reading the FAQ, you're right - frustrating, as I thought I'd read somewhere it was ok.

Could you be more specific with your insulating board idea? I'm reluctant to use self-levelling compound as I believe you can't then tile straight on top.

All this fuss for 12mm!

S

Stef

Reading the FAQ, you're right - frustrating, as I thought I'd read somewhere it was ok.

Could you be more specific with your insulating board idea? I'm reluctant to use self-levelling compound as I believe you can't then tile straight on top.

All this fuss for 12mm!

You can tile direct to SLC, I would have levelled it then tiled, job done.

Your 20mm round notch trowel will only be 10mm deep,
It's 20mm wide & 10mm deep.
Check it with a tape measure.

T

TJ Smiler

Mate, i cant bloody stop laughing. Cheers TJ lol

Reply to 20mm trowel gives what depth of adhesive? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen