Search the forum,

Discuss 1st time No More Ply. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jollyroger

I have always used 6mm Hardi backer board on timber floors, but since my local B and Q no longer stock it I bought some 6mm No More Ply from Tile Giant.
My method of laying the NMP was as follows....New 22mm chipboard flooring fitted to joists, all glued and screwed floor had no deflection solid as a rock.....Chipboard cleaned and primed with SBR....NMP cleaned and fixed with Keraquick using a 6mm notched trowel, then screwed 200mm centres with 25mm Turbo Gold screws. All joints staggered with 2mm expansion gap.
Bought 1 tube of the polyurethane adhesive and used it only for the joints, then scraped off the excess the next morning.
Really wasn't sure what to do with the joints, as I always tape the Hardi board joints. The NMP boards have a really smooth surface and I found that the screw heads did not penetrate the surface and finish flush. However, a quick jag with a 10mm twist drill before inserting the screws made a huge difference.
Over all, I quite liked the NMP, and would use it again but I would like to ask you guys what you think about my installation method, and in particular what you all do with the joints prior to tiling. Cheers Gavin.

W

White Room

Only used NMP once, was'nt that impressed...the glue dos'nt go a far as they state.

O

On one

I have only used it the once,but thought it was a lot denser than Hardie.Not keen on having to scrape the excess glue off

J

jollyroger

I would never use the glue under the boards, it will not expand much at all. Another gripe I have is the huge 75mm circular stickers on each board which have to be painstakingly removed.

Reaction score
Think your method was fine Gavin.

TBH if i was advising on your floor i would have sold the NMP Mega Adhesive.

do a little test. get some T&G boards, put some NMP onto it with the Mega Adhesive, then see if you can prise it apart.

I dont have an issue with a fixer using an s1 adhesive to stick the NMP down, i just think the mega adhesive is belt n braces.

W

wacjac

lee,
you didnt mention not to get the mega glue on any part of your hands or body. I'l never do that again. !!!!!

But i never use flex adhesive now, always glue n screw. Just wish the glue wasnt so expensive

J

jollyroger

I'm sure the NMP Mega Adhesive is fine Lee, I just feel that the s1 tile adhesive gives me more confidence that the boards will have full contact with no voids underneath.
NMP manufacturer recommends 2 continuous lines of adhesive around each board and I am convinced that the adhesive will expand no more than 20mm. just try it on 2 pieces of glass sandwiched together.
Sorry but don't think I could ever risk it. For me it's s1 addy every time.
I certainly won't disagree with you about the strength of the NMP glue, this is a polyurethane glue which I have been using for years. It's strong stuff and if you slightly dampen 1 of the surfaces before use, it will stick like the proverbial.

Reply to 1st time No More Ply. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen