Currently reading:
1st time No More Ply.

Discuss 1st time No More Ply. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jollyroger

I have always used 6mm Hardi backer board on timber floors, but since my local B and Q no longer stock it I bought some 6mm No More Ply from Tile Giant.
My method of laying the NMP was as follows....New 22mm chipboard flooring fitted to joists, all glued and screwed floor had no deflection solid as a rock.....Chipboard cleaned and primed with SBR....NMP cleaned and fixed with Keraquick using a 6mm notched trowel, then screwed 200mm centres with 25mm Turbo Gold screws. All joints staggered with 2mm expansion gap.
Bought 1 tube of the polyurethane adhesive and used it only for the joints, then scraped off the excess the next morning.
Really wasn't sure what to do with the joints, as I always tape the Hardi board joints. The NMP boards have a really smooth surface and I found that the screw heads did not penetrate the surface and finish flush. However, a quick jag with a 10mm twist drill before inserting the screws made a huge difference.
Over all, I quite liked the NMP, and would use it again but I would like to ask you guys what you think about my installation method, and in particular what you all do with the joints prior to tiling. Cheers Gavin.

J

jollyroger

I'm sure the NMP Mega Adhesive is fine Lee, I just feel that the s1 tile adhesive gives me more confidence that the boards will have full contact with no voids underneath.
NMP manufacturer recommends 2 continuous lines of adhesive around each board and I am convinced that the adhesive will expand no more than 20mm. just try it on 2 pieces of glass sandwiched together.
Sorry but don't think I could ever risk it. For me it's s1 addy every time.
I certainly won't disagree with you about the strength of the NMP glue, this is a polyurethane glue which I have been using for years. It's strong stuff and if you slightly dampen 1 of the surfaces before use, it will stick like the proverbial.

I would never use the glue under the boards, it will not expand much at all. Another gripe I have is the huge 75mm circular stickers on each board which have to be painstakingly removed.

Can the board be turned over? Or is the sticker/'s on both sides?

Reply to 1st time No More Ply. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement