Search the forum,

Discuss What's The Black Stuff? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Took up some laminate in a kitchen this morning only to find a layer of lino tiles which have been attached to the concrete floor with black stuff? What is this black stuff and can I prime over it or slc it? Cheers Sean

1446453601579-1878816893.jpg

O

Old Mod

Is it tacky Sean?
Looks like 'black' it's a bitumen based adhesive used to stick vinyl.
U can slurry coat it with Mapeis eco prime, I think it's called, or Tilemasters Prime + Grip or make your own.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is it tacky Sean?
Looks like 'black' it's a bitumen based adhesive used to stick vinyl.
U can slurry coat it with Mapeis eco prime, I think it's called, or Tilemasters Prime + Grip or make your own.
Yes its tacky and smells a bit like tar.
I'm in the middle of the chalfonts and there's no tile shops 4 miles. Looks like I'll be making my own! Cheers 4 the quick reply.

O

Old Mod

No worries mate.
Might as well ask, but ur sorted on how to make ur own aren't u Sean!

O

Old Mod

Til it's dry! :D
Some say tacky I think, but I let it dry the same way premixed ones instruct.
U can go heavier on the SBR if u want Sean, some just mix 1-1 adhesive and SBR.

P

p4ulo

I did my own kitchen floor recently, lino tiles stuck down with the same stuff, came up very easily. I did a single cream consistency Slurry coat with rapidest adhesive and SBR, and it works a treat. Hopefully no asbestos mate!

Reply to What's The Black Stuff? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen