Search the forum,

Discuss Whats the best primer to use on walls and floors??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi all,

Just wondering what you found to be the best primer to use on floors and walls,in terms of quality and price and how far it goes.
I have just run out and need to get some more.

I have been using Webber PR370 its a PVA priming,sealing and bonding agent and 2.5kg watered down lasts me a fair while for 11 or so quid.
I also found some Bal bond priming agent in the shed which I just used up.
I know theres been a lot of conflicting reviews on standard PVA Verses Acrylic Primer.

Would like some advice please.

Cheers.
Vinnie.:smilewinkgrin:

D

diamondtiling

stick to acrylic bond, its far superior than pva, i use granfix which dilutes 3-1, many adheshive manufacturers stipulate acrylic bonding in conjunction with warranties, best to be safe than sorry. the cost of the bond is borne by the customer so that should not be an issue if they want a quality job, someone once said,"buy cheap, pay twice"
who was that ?
:hurray:

G

grumpygrouter

I haven't been in the trade that long, but I am STUNNED to find that Weber produce and recommend a PVA primer!:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

B

bluevin123

Yes, true,it seems ok,but have been to Topps and they say Bal APD is very good.
£13 for 2.5lts dont sound to bad, think ill try it out.
Cheers.
Vinnie.:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't know that much about different tile types but I don't think there is such a thing as a catch all primer is there. Surely it depends on the tiles and the substrate as to what the most appropriate primer is.

G

grumpygrouter

I don't know that much about different tile types but I don't think there is such a thing as a catch all primer is there. Surely it depends on the tiles and the substrate as to what the most appropriate primer is.
More to do with the substrate than the tiles Ajax.:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
More to do with the substrate than the tiles Ajax.:thumbsup:

Thought that might be the case - I feel safe in saying best to use water based epoxy over anhydrite if using cement base addy. If possible however use calcium sulphate based addy - safe to use acrylic or SBR then.

G

grumpygrouter

Acrylic covers most stuff and SBR is most flexible in it's uses. SBR can be used where acrylic is but usually diluted but it also has more uses, slurry coats and the like for instance.

Reply to Whats the best primer to use on walls and floors??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen