Discuss Whats that arrow on the underside of my tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
As the title I have 60x30 porcelain tiles and they have an arrow embossed underneath pointing at one of the the long lengths.

Q

Qwerty

There are a few different thoughts on it, but I was told by a tile manufacturer it was the direction in which the tiles travelled through the manufacturing process from firing through to digital print & glazing.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
There are a few different thoughts on it, but I was told by a tile manufacturer it was the direction in which the tiles travelled through the manufacturing process from firing through to digital print & glazing.

I've heard that
So as the person laying them why would I need to know. I understand with carpet tiles as they have a direction of the pile and you can see the shade difference.Is it the same idea but to a lesser degree with tiles then.I have not done many rooms but never noticed it on a tile before

Q

Qwerty

Because some digital print isn't random and will often be a repeat pattern. If tiles face same way, then so does the pattern. Not always the case. Best to lay out a dozen or so and see what's what

F

Flintstone

Here’s one I did last year with 60x60 porcelain with arrows on the back, I kept them all the same way, there’s a very clear directional patern to me
C43F4D21-CDD6-484C-8C7A-2EFDA8852296.jpeg
C419D03B-2E63-4DD6-8200-974EFF7F7A65.jpeg

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If tiles have an arrow then you most probably have to lay
them the same way as they are directional.You can however have
plain tiles made on the same machinery if that is the case you ignore
the arrows

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I see - they have a softish riven slate pattern so may not be critical.
Next problem is that the arrow is not very pronounced in its emboss and then I am going to be back buttering and will forget where the stupid arrow was !

O

Old Mod

I believe it to be direction of travel thro ovens/kilns. And it would make sense that the pattern flows that way because it’s the direction of travel through process. If there’s a fairly even split between arrows and non arrows it’s generally cos at the end of the process, 60 x 60’s are cut in half. That’s why it’s only on some and not others.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I believe it to be direction of travel thro ovens/kilns. And it would make sense that the pattern flows that way because it’s the direction of travel through process. If there’s a fairly even split between arrows and non arrows it’s generally cos at the end of the process, 60 x 60’s are cut in half. That’s why it’s only on some and not others.
I only have 1 here so i cannot check an others, I didn't know they could of started out as 60x60.
So if it is deemed an important issue by the manufacturer to aid the installer with arrows then why cut them off on half of them.

B

Bill

I only have 1 here so i cannot check an others, I didn't know they could of started out as 60x60.
So if it is deemed an important issue by the manufacturer to aid the installer with arrows then why cut them off on half of them.
Because a quality installer will know which way around they go, no need for arrows.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The arrows are unimportant imo, go with what looks best, some riven or pattern tiles look best all going the same way some don't.
Just look at the face of the tile if one is going in a different direction and stands out like a sore thumb , then put them all the same way, I've tiled hundreds of floors and never taken any notice of the arrows.

Reply to Whats that arrow on the underside of my tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22