Search the forum,

Discuss What Thickness of thermal board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

curlycan

Hi
can anyone tell me what thickness of thermal will I need when installing my ufh. I'm installing onto concrete subtrate which is in my kitchen. The big question is Does thickness matter.:smilewinkgrin:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depends on what type of insulation and what U Value you need to acheive.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The thicker the better to allow more heat reflection.

No pun intended

Not necessarily Whitebeam. It is more to do with the R Value. for example you would get more insulation from 75mm of Polyurethane insulation than you would from 90mm of EPS70 polystyrene. Also you have to take into account the level of delfection under loading. If it is thick and spongy it would lead to a risk of high levels of defelction and subsequent failure of the tile bed. Even my Mrs knows that thick and spongy is not good........

C

curlycan

This sounds complicated.

I'm looking to install ufh in my kitchen, ( which has no heating) we have a permantley open window vent due to the gas boiler position. The kitchen is a galley shape and is 1m wide x 4m long the substrate is concrete. We would like as much heat coming through the tiles as possible but the hight is the key as we will get a step between the kitchen and hall way so i suppose it will depend on how big a step I can get away with.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
C

curlycan

Another quickie
do you fix boards with tile addy or slc. I know you use slc when boards are down and heat mat is on top to get a good surface to tile to.

D

DHTiling

use a flexi cement based adhesive.. oh and Uheat do great prices on insulation boards..

Reply to What Thickness of thermal board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen