Search the forum,

Discuss What thickness floor tile? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

padzmac

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm about to install limestone flooring and have narrowed my choice down to 2, both of which are comparable in monetary terms.

One of the products is 11mm thick and the other is 20mm thick. I'm planning to put electric UFH with good insulation boards.

Does one thickness tile have any advantage over the other?

Thank you in advance, padzmac

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redrex

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I'm about to install limestone flooring and have narrowed my choice down to 2, both of which are comparable in monetary terms.

One of the products is 11mm thick and the other is 20mm thick. I'm planning to put electric UFH with good insulation boards.

Does one thickness tile have any advantage over the other?

Thank you in advance, padzmac

Hi padzmac and welcome,

its a bit late but im still up, the short answer is yes the thicker the better, it may take a while longer to heat up (assuming that both tiles have the same density) but there is a crossover point that the amount of (electrical) enery used to heat the thicker tiles up for the amount of heat that they give out is less than the amount of energy used to heat a thinner tile up and keep it at the same radiant temperature. i think its the second law of thermodynamics that you need to look at:smilewinkgrin: (amazing what you need to be a tile fitter!) for a bit more info...

The Second Law of Thermodynamics (2)

or if you want the full laws..1,2 and 3..

Thermodynamics - Concept, How it works, Historical context, Snows explanation, Work and energy, Mechanical energy, Conservation of energy, Heat and temperature, Temperature

or you could try this forum and yes there really is a 'tilersforum' for physics!

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums

skool was not wasted on me!

anyway,in summary, the thicker the better :ninja: as long as you dont want it to cool down quickly!

hope this helps

Ed

F

faithhealer

Hi padzmac and welcome,

its a bit late but im still up, the short answer is yes the thicker the better, it may take a while longer to heat up (assuming that both tiles have the same density) but there is a crossover point that the amount of (electrical) enery used to heat the thicker tiles up for the amount of heat that they give out is less than the amount of energy used to heat a thinner tile up and keep it at the same radiant temperature. i think its the second law of thermodynamics that you need to look at:smilewinkgrin: (amazing what you need to be a tile fitter!) for a bit more info...

The Second Law of Thermodynamics (2)

or if you want the full laws..1,2 and 3..

Thermodynamics - Concept, How it works, Historical context, Snows explanation, Work and energy, Mechanical energy, Conservation of energy, Heat and temperature, Temperature

or you could try this forum and yes there really is a 'tilersforum' for physics!

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums

skool was not wasted on me!

anyway,in summary, the thicker the better :ninja: as long as you dont want it to cool down quickly!

hope this helps

Ed
Now thats a reply...

P

padzmac

redrex,

Very many thanks for a comprehensive answer, all of which makes sense. I'll have to dig out my Sadi Carnot and Boltzmann notes! I may lose the Long-haired Admiral along the way; good job both tiles are of a similar colour!

If the UFH was taken out of the equation, is there much difference between 11mm and 20mm limestone tiles? The extra 9mm is not a problem wrt floor height, so what other advantages do 20mm thick tiles have?

Many thanks,

padzmac

D

DHTiling

Better impact resistance.....but if the 11mm are bedded well then no probs at all in a domestic install.....:thumbsup:

U

Uheat

great response above. :hurray:

If you need a hand with working out a price for UFH and backer boards then give me a call or send me a PM with your measurements and i will be happy to work out for you

Reply to What thickness floor tile? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen