Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom-Tiles showing stains from underneath! PLEASE HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bathroom girls

Hello

We have recently installed a wetroom shower area, using a product called 'Impey' also used their recommended underfloor heating 'Devimat'
We used a cream ceramic tile and the installer used Bal 2 part adhesive along with Mapei jasmine grout.
Upon turning on the underfloor heating and over the past 4 weeks, marks ahve appeared throughout the floor area. Patches are around the shower waste as well as linear marks now spreading throughout the whole bathroom.

It seems the marks may be inline with underfloor heating although we cannot be sure. The marks are still appearing and increasingly getting worse.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen.

Help!!

H

hillhead

Hello and welcome bathroom girls, i personally don't use BAL adhesives etc but this could be other problems.
Was a leveling compound used over the matting?
Also the ceramic tiles could be light bodied etc, prone to stains through biscuit etc.
I would normally have porcelain over UFH.

D

Deleted member 9966

hi

welcome to the forum. you've come to the right place. if you can take some photo's of the areas in question and post them to this thread, it would be really helpful.

From what you have described so far, I have 2 questions:
1. what colour adhesive was used under the floor tiles?
2. how was the adhesive spread on to the floor before the tiles were fixed to the adhesive?

Thanks

B

Bathroom girls

Hi

1. Adhesive colour was grey
2. The tiler said he covered all the electric underfloor heating with adhesive using a troul to level the floor, then waited for it to dry. He then buttered the back of each tile, although we have no proof he didnt dab it.

no pictures but describe it as long marks across the tiles, in the centre, fat wobbly sausage shapes!! Most tiles have 3 lines all following in the same direction across the room. It is almost like shadows, a light grey colour through a cream tile.

any help appreciated!!

D

Deleted member 9966

your tiler used the wrong colour adhesive for your choice colour of tiles. it's the grey adhesive that he's trowelled on that's showing through.

ceramic tiles are thin and dark adhesive easily shows up. I've tried it myself on some white tiles in my own bathroom just to see what happens.

H

hillhead

Grey adhesive, cream faced ceramics and UFH... not a good mix IMO and not sure about dot and dabbing.
The only way to find out is lift a tile or two, if the heating mat had been covered well it'll not get damaged.

T

trevortine

Defo wrong colour adhesive used and as above ceramics not ideal on ufh. Bal dont make a 2 part flex any more, where did this come from? Its a single part fast flex now.

T

TilerJames

he says he covered the mat properly, but ya cant really be sure...take extreme care if you do go poppin up a tile or two.

Reply to Wetroom-Tiles showing stains from underneath! PLEASE HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen