Discuss Wetroom floor, hardi backer already down, needs levelling, uncoupling membrane? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Scott HAZARD

Hi all, starting a wet room floor soon, have a few questions I would like some help with!

The floor has already been installed by a builder and has Hardi backer boards down, running up to the tray, but will need levelling before reaching it.

1. Hardi backer is not waterproof, so how does self leveller fair with it? I will also be priming the boards first with SBR before it goes down.

2. Marble is going down on top, Is an uncoupling membrane necessary as hardi backer is dimensionally stable? Am I being over cautious, suppose it's better to be over cautious and always use it when laying stone?

3. Will be tanking, using the Ardex WPC kit, seen it mentioned that it will effect the weight bearing capabilities of the walls (they are cement boards too), but seen nothing to back this up, anyone know of the capabilities of it, when applied?

Thanks in advance.

F

Flintstone

For me- level over the hardie, tank, then tile
The tanking kit will not alter the Weight limit of the substrate it is going on to.
I would only uncouple if it was having under floor heading

F

Flintstone

Is it having underfloor heating? If not, why not? I always recommend it in wet rooms

S

Scott HAZARD

Unless it's been installed underneath the hardi backer, I will ask now. The boards have been installed by a builder.

O

Old Mod

You should always uncouple stone imo, esp marble because of the fissures in the stone.
If the floor is flat and tileable with just the hardie,
You could latex only where necessary, and forget the tanking to the floor and use properly taped Ditra as a waterproof membrane and run it 100mm up the wall to provide a waterproof skirting too.
So you have a completely waterproof floor and your stone will be uncoupled.
Obviously the walls will still need tanking.
If you tape Ditra to make it waterproof, you're required to use Schlüter's Kerdi Coll adhesive.

Reply to Wetroom floor, hardi backer already down, needs levelling, uncoupling membrane? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks