Search the forum,

Discuss Wet tile cutter for natural stone (marble/limestone) - buy Briccolina or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

Hi, I've been reading around a bit as I need to buy some tools. I think I have a handle on this but wanted to double check that the tools I think I need are suitable :)

I've got a 23m sq kitchen floor to tile with 600 x 400 limestone (applestone).
A 7m sq bathroom floor to tile with 600 x 400 botticino marble.
Bathroom walls to tile with 600 x 400 limestone (I think it's sinema / sort of rough grain and a few inclusions/fossils). About 20m sq.

I was looking at getting a wet cutter.
Had the following shortlisted:

Briccolina Wet Saw (230v)

Master Tiler Wet Saw

Vitrex QEP Pro 750 - Tradetiler Wet Tile Saws

Axminster Tile cutter (rails) - Buy Axminster Tile Cutter with Laser Line & Stand from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

I'm not sure whether I need a rail one or just stick with a flatbed jobbie.

So far I'm leaning towards the Briccolina and adding a Macrist CK850 blade.
Am hoping that will get the job done.
Then either keep the saw for other jobs for mates or flog it/pass it on to other mates doing up their houses. Not keen to rent as I take ages to do anything....

Will ask about sponges and trowels and lasers later...
Thanks
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

I have heard great reports on the briccolina and also that blade. Sounds like the best option. I have had a look at some Zxminster carpentry tools of lat eand their stuff looks good but not sure about the tile cutter. I have the plasplugs one and its been a good little cutter over the years but you need a decent blade for any 'nice' cuts.

G

Gazzer

1st forget the axminster...maximum capacity is 560mm and seeing as you are using 600mm tiles it will be limited.

Out of the others you mention I would be looking at the power of the motor, The Bricolina is only 240 w as stated in the advert and thats not a lot when cutting stone. it is a fine machine for other jobs but also let down by the size of the cutting bed.
This leaves the plasplugs or Vitrex which are almost identical. I have a Plasplugs machine and have used it for around 3 years now, its been fine so either of the those 2 would be my choice.

Reaction score
I have the QEP750 as a handy cutter when I can't be bothered to rig up my DeWalt.:smilewinkgrin:
I used to have the PP Master which as Sir says is nigh on the exact same cutter.
It's a great little machine and more than capable for your job.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
E

edwardk

So you guys think the Briccolina is not such a good idea and the Vitrex is better ?

Is this down to motor size : 240 (Briccolina) vs 750 (Vitrex)
And bed size : Briccolina (small bed) vs Vitrex (larger bed size)

Is it a good call to get the better blade (Macrist CK850).

Thanks
Ed

E

edwardk

Thanks for all the help - I went with the Vitrex 750 and the Marcrist 850K blade (180mm - hopefully it'll fit - bore-wise).

Looking forward to actually starting ....

Ed

E

edwardk

Just got the Vitrex + Marcrist 850K.

Just unwrapped it and fitted the blade - put the top back on and manually/slowly rotated the blade.... there is a wobble of about a mil and a half maybe 2mm from side to side.

Is this a problem ?

I'm more used to wood tools - are there any adjustments screws for lateral movement?

Will it just mean a slightly wider kerf / saw cut or will it mess things up and needs to go back ?

Help !
Ed

S

Spud

applestone is fairly soft for flooring and some stone suppliers have stopped recommending it for flooring these days

D

DHTiling

Just unwrapped it and fitted the blade - put the top back on and manually/slowly rotated the blade.... there is a wobble of about a mil and a half maybe 2mm from side to side.

This could be a spindle problem.. does it do it with the original blade on.?

Reply to Wet tile cutter for natural stone (marble/limestone) - buy Briccolina or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen