Discuss wet room shower trays in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Just Rizzle

just asking you guys which wet room trays do you prefer and which dont you rate. and why?

J

Just Rizzle

the reason i asked this question above is just installed a jackoboard tray the customer has supplied and think due to its design has a lot of weaknesses compared to our normal recommendation wedi tray

F

Flintstone

Ray, I have seen so many bad wet trays, if it was upto me I would only use wedi trays, or impi are ok. A lot of trays don't have any weep holes or water run offs below the tile line which is fatal, I've even had to tile on one with fixed height waste which was very high.
What weaknesses do you find with that one?

J

Just Rizzle

withe the wedi you clamp the membrain around the outlet with the j board its glued also have to support the drain as feel it could push out

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Marmox shower stone are supposed to be a good tray I've bin told by a trusted source just not had chance to try one as all the ones I've done since have wedi as the builder gets a good price on them from someone

O

One Day

Only two real options in my view - Wedi and Schluter.
The next best (poor relation) are those that use a Dalmer drain.

Ray - what do you mean about clamping membrane on Wedi trays?!
Are you meaning Impey?

O

One Day

I've been following an installation team in a hotel for several weeks. Every room has an Impey tray installed. My role is to ensure the wet areas cannot leak.
In order to do that, I have thrown away the awful tilesafe membrane (I thought it was discontinued?!) and fixed kerdi membrane onto the tray using kerdi-coll. Lapped into and secured under the retaining ring.
Usual gubbins on the walls.
The Impey trays are nice and solid, but they are expensive and the time saved on the install is lost on extra prep.

F

Flintstone

I tiled over an Impey water guard mat a couple of weeks back and it was stuck like you know what, and tucked under the drain, I thought it was all fine. Not sure on the sealant tho, it didn't seem to set

J

J Sid

That's what i thought, but this job had rolls of the old devils fly paper!
they still make tile safe and is for 'heavy duty areas' :(
wouldn't ever us it again

didn't think impeys guaranteed the tray for tiling unless tilesafe or water guard is used

J

Just Rizzle

[QUOTE="Localtiler, post: 85are those that use a Dalmer drain.

Ray - what do you mean about clamping membrane on Wedi trays?!
Are you meaning Impey?[/QUOTE]
sorry been to the pub i mean the schluter tray has a ring around the drain which clamps the membrain down .
when we install we tank out walls and floors in schluter ditra and kerdie. even over the wedi we fully tank over for belts and braces

O

One Day

they still make tile safe and is for 'heavy duty areas' :(
wouldn't ever us it again

didn't think impeys guaranteed the tray for tiling unless tilesafe or water guard is used

Julian, there would be no guarantee regardless; the way these were put in!
That's why I personally ensured that they won't leak and will accept tiling.
Photos of before, during and after each install so I have a record attached to the invoices for my own back-up in case some numpty damages the area before tiling.

I got stuck to tilesafe once. Made the big mistake of ripping my palm away quickly, thinking it would be like taking a plaster off. I had a massive blister for weeks.
Thanks Impey.

H

hmtiling

Not use tilesafe for ages. as above waterguard is a much better product. I use a lot of the impey trays and got on with them.
lost the hair on my knee from slipping off a kneepad on tilesafe

Reply to wet room shower trays in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks