Discuss Unhappy with bathroom tiling in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I’m not happy with the quality of tiling in my bathroom. The builder says the wide, uneven and chipped edges will be hidden by the silicone. I think this will look awful. Some of the tiles are chipped and some are marked. I’d really appreciate views on whether my disappointment is justified.

Attachments

• IMG_7321.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7322.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7317.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2023-12-11-182716.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4165.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4166.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4167.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4169.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
That is one of the worst jobs I’ve seen in ages, no pride in their work - why on earth would you fix a tile that clearly has a big chunk out of it?
I’m afraid they’ve also used a ready mixed tub adhesive, which is not ok on that sized tile.
I’m sorry but you’ve had the work done by someone incompetent and in my opinion it should all be ripped out and started again.
I have my doubts whether the proper waterproofing will have been done in the shower area- but at least that can be addressed on the second attempt.
Do not get them to do it again.

Reaction score
That is one of the worst jobs I’ve seen in ages, no pride in their work - why on earth would you fix a tile that clearly has a big chunk out of it?
I’m afraid they’ve also used a ready mixed tub adhesive, which is not ok on that sized tile.
I’m sorry but you’ve had the work done by someone incompetent and in my opinion it should all be ripped out and started again.
I have my doubts whether the proper waterproofing will have been done in the shower area- but at least that can be addressed on the second attempt.
Do not get them to do it again.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that is not good work at all. Probably not an actual tiler that's done it? Should have really used a cement-based adhesive due to the tile size. Trim isn't very good. Gap around ceiling does seem to follow the ceiling and tiles run in suit (not jutting around higher or lower etc) but the gap is too big for the recommended industry standard of I think 6mm (don't quote me).

Who employed this 'tiler' did they check their references? That quickly gets rid of the blaggers.

If it was just a case of going with the cheapest quote, then this is what I'd expect from more than 50% of them.

First you have to give the person a chance to correct the issues. So list them. Get the adhesive checked by calling the manufacturer of the adhesive. They're good in the UK and will try help. But you need them to say it's wrong first, then the tile will need to strip them back and do it again properly.

At this point, he will probably go AWOL, but might stay with you and keep working with you. If so then it's a case of taking them to court to get the money back from you paying a real tiler (I can help you use the forum to find one if you wish). If you do end up using the courts, The Tile Association might be able to provide the required expert witness report, its not cheap but might be needed.

Hope this helps. I'm so sorry you've experienced this. That person isn't a tiler though. They'd have known first of all that the adhesive is not right.

Are the tiles porcelain or stone?

Reaction score
Yeah that is not good work at all. Probably not an actual tiler that's done it? Should have really used a cement-based adhesive due to the tile size. Trim isn't very good. Gap around ceiling does seem to follow the ceiling and tiles run in suit (not jutting around higher or lower etc) but the gap is too big for the recommended industry standard of I think 6mm (don't quote me).

Who employed this 'tiler' did they check their references? That quickly gets rid of the blaggers.

If it was just a case of going with the cheapest quote, then this is what I'd expect from more than 50% of them.

First you have to give the person a chance to correct the issues. So list them. Get the adhesive checked by calling the manufacturer of the adhesive. They're good in the UK and will try help. But you need them to say it's wrong first, then the tile will need to strip them back and do it again properly.

At this point, he will probably go AWOL, but might stay with you and keep working with you. If so then it's a case of taking them to court to get the money back from you paying a real tiler (I can help you use the forum to find one if you wish). If you do end up using the courts, The Tile Association might be able to provide the required expert witness report, its not cheap but might be needed.

Hope this helps. I'm so sorry you've experienced this. That person isn't a tiler though. They'd have known first of all that the adhesive is not right.

Tha

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The wall tiles are ceramic. This is part of a bigger contract which included tiling the bathroom. My en-suite is excellent and I had no idea that the builder wouldn’t be using a tiler for my bathroom.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh okay for ceramics, tubbed can be okay for bathrooms. So perhaps a case of identifying the couple of trims and tiles we don't think are right and give them a chance to rectify. Which is always required by law - looks good on your part like.

But this shouldn't come to that and might be alright if they sort the trim and the odd tile.

That gap at the top might look okay once sealed and if too big for silicone then maybe they were planning on using some sort of trim or something? Anybody said anything about that?

Reaction score
Oh okay for ceramics, tubbed can be okay for bathrooms. So perhaps a case of identifying the couple of trims and tiles we don't think are right and give them a chance to rectify. Which is always required by law - looks good on your part like.

But this shouldn't come to that and might be alright if they sort the trim and the odd tile.

That gap at the top might look okay once sealed and if too big for silicone then maybe they were planning on using some sort of trim or something? Anybody said anything about that?
Thanks again for your time. Is it possible to remove individual ties/trim to go some way to making this look better? I’m really concerned that the silicone will look awful.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is. You want nice chrome trim or brushed aluminium effect maybe? But it being pulled off, then all tiles checked for which ones are pushing it out of line and those need trimming.

Can you show us a pic of the trim from the side of the tile. What's that look like? Show me all your trim.

Reaction score
Yes it is. You want nice chrome trim or brushed aluminium effect maybe? But it being pulled off, then all tiles checked for which ones are pushing it out of line and those need trimming.

Can you show us a pic of the trim from the side of the tile. What's that look like? Show me all your trim.
Thank you. I just need to be clear what I want the resolution to be and to make sure I’m being reasonable. I’ve attached photos of the trim. To be fair I chose the white trim to blend in. Anyway, I’m grateful for your views/expertise.

Attachments

• IMG_7329.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4175.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4178.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4172.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4171.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7336.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7335.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7332.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7331.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7329.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
You guys carry on polishing the turd if you want - it needs doing again if you want a professional finish.
Also I’d be worried about prep work… what stages of preparation did they go through?

Reaction score

Hi Dan

I’ve had difficulty accessing the forum. When I log in it seems to just show a blank page. Have you got any advice on how I establish what is reasonable care and skill? As Ben says I’d really like the tiling done again to a professional standard.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, now looking at the pictures, OMFG!

Tap the tiling with a coin and see whether there are any areas with no (or very little) adhesive behind them.

Is this the same people as did the ensuite you say?!?

Reply to Unhappy with bathroom tiling in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks