Search the forum,

Discuss Uneven tiles wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

PRUDENT Mathieu

Hello,

I would like to know how many millimeters of uneven we can have between two tiles. I bought the British standard 5385-1 but I found nothing inside about this subject. Do you know where can I find the answer?

Thank you :)

Mathieu

T

Tile Shop

Between two tiles, no more than 1mm for grout joints less than or equal to 6mm, 2mm for joints over 6mm wide.

Then, anywhere on the walls, with a 2 metre straight edge with 3mm feet at each end, no peak in the tiling should impede the straight edge at any point, and no gap between the base of the straight edge and the tiles should exceed 6mm. Basically +/- 3mm over any 2 metre length.

It is in bs5385 part one. But i don't have my copy to hand. I can read over it in the morning and let you where it is. Its also exactly the same rule for floors.

T

Tile Shop

Found it. Section 7.1.9 - Tolerances:

7.1.9.1 Finished tile Surfaces
The surface should be true such that, when checked with a 2 m straightedge with 3 mm thick feet at each end, the straightedge should not be obstructed by the tiles and no gap should be greater than 6 mm.

There are permissible manufacturing tolerances for ceramic tiles defined in BS EN 14411; certain types of tiles, e.g. extruded or large format, might have permissible surface flatness irregularities that cannot satisfactorily be accommodated within the surface flatness tolerance permitted to the tile installer; this should be taken into account when evaluating the achievable flatness of a wall tiling installation.

NOTE - Where adhesives are used, this degree of accuracy can be achieved only when the background surface is equally true.

7.1.9.2 Across joints
There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints (commonly called "lipping") and the maximum deviation between the tile surfaces either side of the joint, including movement joints should be as follows.

a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.

b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

P

PRUDENT Mathieu

Thanks a lot Paul! This is very helpfull for me :) It's on a page 39...

Have a nice day...

Reply to Uneven tiles wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen