Search the forum,

Discuss Uncoupling membrane vs no more ply, when & where? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pro Tiler Tools

Would that be polypropylene? :D

Did they only ever try one particular system, do you have a theory as to why it wasn't successful Sam?
Im not sure if they tried more than the 1 system. When we spoke about the issue we both agreed that the 1mm couldn't provide enough lateral movement as its is made of 1 material not 2 like the Dural and Schluter systems, by having the 2 allows a certain amount of lateral movement between the fleece and the top of the matting, but that was just our opinions. I am sure people must use the 1mm systems with success otherwise they wouldn't still be selling them. Have you ever or currently use them?

:) Sam

O

Old Mod

Im not sure if they tried more than the 1 system. When we spoke about the issue we both agreed that the 1mm couldn't provide enough lateral movement as its is made of 1 material not 2 like the Dural and Schluter systems, by having the 2 allows a certain amount of lateral movement between the fleece and the top of the matting, but that was just our opinions. I am sure people must use the 1mm systems with success otherwise they wouldn't still be selling them. Have you ever or currently use them?

:) Sam

Yes mate, use them all the time with the thin porcelain, recommend it for all floors.
Ditra presently won't advise their matting for tiles under 6mm.
As most of the material we're fitting presently is under that we use the 1mm tilemaster mat.
From those that have been tried, we keep going back to that one in particular.

P

Pro Tiler Tools

Yes mate, use them all the time with the thin porcelain, recommend it for all floors.
Ditra presently won't advise their matting for tiles under 6mm.
As most of the material we're fitting presently is under that we use the 1mm tilemaster mat.
From those that have been tried, we keep going back to that one in particular.
Ah that's interesting to know, is it this one you use:

Anti-fracture Matting for Floors Subject to Limited Movement | Tilemaster Adhesives - http://www.tilemasteradhesives.co.uk/anti-fracture-mat/tilemaster-anti-fracture-mat

I will take a look into it. I personally haven't seen this one in the flesh is it like the BAL Rapid mat?

Sam

D

Dumbo

Most 1mm systems to my understanding are made of 3 layers to give that lateral movement . My local shop has just started selling codex which unlike bal can used for waterproofing as well and they say it is cheaper than rapid matt

O

Old Mod

I will take a look into it. I personally haven't seen this one in the flesh is it like the BAL Rapid mat?
Sam

Yeah that's the one Sam, no actually, Bal is very similar to Isomat, but Tilemaster's is more like a felt construction, much more like material in construction, so you have to hold it both sides or it collapses if you try and lay it by one edge.
It won't support itself if you hold it by just one edge.
thats a better description haha
It'll stretch fairly easily if you're not aware, but it adheres extremely well and it just feels more substancial than others, with no problems to date that we know of.

D

Dumbo

No problems to date that I now of . That what I tell my customers if something has failed and they don't tell me as far as I'm aware no problems to date .

P

Pro Tiler Tools

Ah see that looks like a different system to the 1mm ones i am talking about. Its strange as we normally hear of these things pretty quickly but we havent seen this one yet.

D

Dumbo

No problems to date that I now of . That what I tell my customers if something has failed and they don't tell me as far as I'm aware no problems to date .
Just going to re write this . No problems to date that i know of .That is what I tell my customers when discussing tiling to a tricky substrate . If customers don't tell me of failures then as far as I am aware no problems to date . I have walked in to many a house to look at new work and have seen tiles failing of previously done work by people and the customer is non the wiser. so if customer does not let tiler know he will be saying the exact same thing but some customers are not aware .

Reply to Uncoupling membrane vs no more ply, when & where? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen