Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Trim snips / metal trim in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

culrossblue

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What are peoples' opinion of these? I have only bumped into one tiler who uses them and he raved about them, looking briefly at them, they looked as if they cut the trim a bit curved not straight like my usual method of mitre block and hacksaw.

Also i have always used the mitre block and hacksaw for cutting metal trim and metal borders but this can be seriously time consuming plus pretty damn sore on the hands after 4 mitres per corner in a bathroom with windows, what does everybody else use?

D

DHTiling

Snips will crush metal trims.......i use a mitre block and standard hacksaw ( for plastic trims )... and with metal trims you can also get pre-made corners..this will be quicker and neater than trying to mitre metal....:thumbsup:

culrossblue

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not a fan of metal corners i prefer to mitre them, i was hoping for an easier method. Had my doubts about the snips just aswell i didn't buy them.
Thanks chaps

L

LM Ceramics

i did have some trim snips i had them for a few years if you use them right it can give a good mitre and they save time but now i use mitre block and hacksaw

G

GazTech

Mitre block and standard not junior hacksaw
http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/cat/77/p2999077_x.jpg

P

Perry

i mitre the tiles looks a lot better but this is what i used to use when i had to use trim imo its makes a lot better job than a hacksaw and mitre block :pete
http://www.NoLinksToThis/prods/19927/Hand-Tools/Saws/Mitre-Saws-Boxes/Compound-Mitre-Saw-24-600mm

G

GazTech

i mitre the tiles looks a lot better but this is what i used to use when i had to use trim imo its makes a lot better job than a hacksaw and mitre block :pete
Compound Mitre Saw 24" (600mm) - NoLinksToThis, Where the Trade Buys
I used one of those for a while, but the cheap ones wear quickly and then give too much play in the action...maybe a more pro / expensive one would be better. I also found it bulky, not something to throw in the toolbox at 5pm on a Friday....

D

doug boardley

mitre saw for me, like joiners use for arcs etc, tried snips but could only work out how to use them on horizontal plane, good for a coffee table but no good for around windows, but i put trim flange into window reveal...how does every body else do it?

D

doug boardley

Compound Mitre Saw 24" (600mm) - NoLinksToThis, Where the Trade Buys
I agree pjc, but I'm always concerned that a child might run into a mitred corner, ouch!

H

heswards

Mate get yourself one of the new mitre boxs from Quansol. I got one a few weeks ago and love it! PVC or metal it does both.

Reply to Trim snips / metal trim in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks