Search the forum,

Discuss tiling using a 3 way mitre ( can cut them ) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Guitardedleon

its 11pm and my head is hurting - probably over thinking this..

when you have a three way mitre on boxing in ( so you end up with a shelf essentially.. )

how do you tile, having cut the trim?..as in, which surface first?

I feel it would be the top(shelf)?

then place the trim along that edge and tile the front panel, place the trim between front and side panel
then tile the narrow side panel.

I am likely making zero sense, In which case apologise.

TILE.jpg

M

Mr Tiler

Have you set out? Once that's done I would personally go up the 'wall', side, front and then top ensuring grout joints are all in sync.... Don't know if it is correct method though just my 2p

G

Guitardedleon

the wall behind and next to it is all tiled already mate,
so the boxing in is pretty much being tied in to existing, a PITA really.

used a laser to get the levels all running through from the both walls and battened out already.
just unsure of which surface to start with to allow the trim to fit nicely.

M

Mr Tiler

I would go up the side as when you hit the top you will be bedding in 2 trims at the same time. What trim are you using as if it is box or quadrant you can buy corner pieces that sit inside the trim and make up the corner nicely so if you think you might struggle it may be a good option... Hope this helps

Reaction score
Front, side, top for me.
Corner piece / mitre the trim is to be thought about too

If its your 1st time it might be fiddly, you might even waste a bit of trim too

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would use corner pieces ......looks much neater imo..

but to answer your question.... same as above front, side, top..

C

charlie1

Ye, front side top for me too. The trick when using all trim (especially metal) is to make sure all tiles accepting the trim is on the same plane ( all flat along a straight edge) then insert trim after the tiles are on

G

Guitardedleon

got there in the end, not quite as good as I had wanted, but Ive seen worse.

the addy im using is going off in what seems like seconds which is making things far more tricky.
tried tiling first then sliding the trim behind, not a chance.. what I did in the end was left the trim slightly out of final placement and slid it the final few mm last thing.

one bucket went off within 4 mins! like bloomin playdough ( mixed exactly as the manufacturer recommends ) I havent got any white standard set :thumbsdown:

thanks for the replies, if I were using corner pieces it would mean another hour trip to a store
so had to make do with a 3way mitre.

this room is only a practice room really, the tiles cost nothing, just addy & grout

had a builder do my kitchen, and every single tile pops when walked on. and a few have cracked

I did my own porch (the 1st tiling I ever did) and it is solid and flat
so wanted to just keep on practising until confident enough to do my bathroom with fairly large tiles. hence all the likely obvious questions haha :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to tiling using a 3 way mitre ( can cut them ) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen