Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto OSB board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

genoveg

Cab anyone advise if it is acceptable to tile directly onto OSB board for wall tiles. I have done in the past but wonder if this will hold up in longterm. Board is secured and has minimal if no deflection.

Any help appreciated

W

wetdec

For those unsure about OSB ...............not mine

Oriented strand board (OSB) is made of layers of thin rectangular strips of wood (from shredded trees) that are compressed and bonded together with a binder. The grain of the strips for each layer is oriented perpendicular to one another, similar to plywood. The layers are built up with the external layers aligned in the panel direction and internal layers randomly positioned. It is then placed in a thermal press. Although, OSB sounds better than plywood there are some disadvantages. When the OSB panel is exposed to water in excess of its rating the water is absorbs at its edges (due to the inherent porosity of its edges), and swells a little more that plywood. When Plywood panels absorb water, they swell wherever the water is absorbed. OSB will stay swollen while plywood will shrink back to its original thickness, because the compaction force is lessened.

Hence, OSB is rarely used for an underlayment

tiler:thumbsup:

G

genoveg

Thks for replies. Was pretty sure that it would need to be covered somehow.

Problem is little room has been left to clad on say some cement backer board as shower mixer has been set quite tight with little tolerance to allow for anymore depth except spread n tiles.

Would it be worth considering using a sheet waterproofing product, have seen something in Topps that may help?? To confirm, it is only the back wall of 1000 x 800 shower, 1 side has tile backer and other is masonry plastered wall.

Thks

G

beanz

TF
Reaction score
When the OSB panel is exposed to water in excess of its rating the water is absorbs at its edges (due to the inherent porosity of its edges), and swells a little more that plywood.

If you primed it on back n sides, like you would with Ply, wouldn't this negate the problem of water penetration!?! Just curious, as it's a damn site cheaper than Ply, and i know all the local Flat Roofers now use OSB, as they say it's better than Ply!?!?!

S

Spud

If you primed it on back n sides, like you would with Ply, wouldn't this negate the problem of water penetration!?! Just curious, as it's a damn site cheaper than Ply, and i know all the local Flat Roofers now use OSB, as they say it's better than Ply!?!?!
is it worth the risk ? I dont think so, why take a chance when there are so many good cement backer boards available

Reply to Tiling onto OSB board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen