Discuss Tiling around door frame in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Waluigi

You tank over the washers.

Screw wise, you have a 600mm Board with two fixing points at either end of the 600mm with no adhesive behind the board. Not very secure IMHO, especially with 6mm board.

Maybe it’s just me. I don’t do many overboarding jobs. I think the last time I did a wall I used HB, 6mm. Glued and screwed.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Copied from another thread about Jackoboard

JACKOBOARD® Plano construction boards can be fixed to timber or metal stud frames using JACKOBOARD® 36mm diameter galvanised steel washers and appropriate screws. If the frame centres are 600mm apart then boards of at least 20mm thick should be used. Fastening points must be arranged as per figure 3 or 4. If the frames are at 300mm centres then 10 or 12,5mm thick boards can be used. Fastening points must be arranged as per figure 5 or 6.

As the boards are over plasterboard in this case I don’t know if the same recommendations apply

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You tank over the washers.

Screw wise, you have a 600mm Board with two fixing points at either end of the 600mm with no adhesive behind the board. Not very secure IMHO, especially with 6mm board.

Maybe it’s just me. I don’t do many overboarding jobs. I think the last time I did a wall I used HB, 6mm. Glued and screwed.

Do you tend to rip out plasterboard and replace with hb etc

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was 400mm centres between studs

What was the background surface?
You mentioned bonding in a previous thread was this over skimmed?

W

Waluigi

where the boards join, you can get away with a fixing staggering both boards.

The issue you have if you don’t glue the boards is that any inperfections in the wall, dips or bows, aren’t accommodated and you essentially could have a piece of 6mm board floating. More screws are essential, to pull the board tight to the wall if nothing else.

W

Waluigi

Taping the joints helps to an extent, as the XPS wasn’t stuck, I would’ve used reinforcing tape and tile adhesive skimmed over.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is it a mixed wall substrate room? Skimmed bonding ? Plasterboard on studs?
Only one wall was mixed: one side was bonded over block, so drilled, plugged and screwed the backer boards over the bonding using 4” screws to get 3” of the screw into the block, the rest was plasterboard stud walls with a skim, so screwed the boards to the studs

W

WetSaw

Looking at the second picture it looks more like the door lining rather than the frame, you better check that so you don't end up miles out!

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Starting to feel slightly stressed out & worried now .. so basically you don’t think the boards will be adequate to hold the tiles?

Reply to Tiling around door frame in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks