Currently reading:
Tile Removal - Nightmare Job

Discuss Tile Removal - Nightmare Job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaydebruyne

Hi guys n girls,

It's been a while since I posted on here. I'm a plumber by trade (1 years experience) and also gas safe (just passed) but I want to get to grips with basic tiling.

Anyway, I have a job where the basin tap is concealed behind some tiles, they've tiled onto ply. I need to remove the tiles, preferably in one piece, to be able to change the tap.

I was wondering if I could get some expert advice from you lot as to the best course of action. I was thinking I could cut out the grout and then cut through the ply with a multitool, slip the 2 tiles out still on the ply and change the tap. But I went to look at the tiling tonight and I don't think it's feasible.

Here are some photos:

Ry2GuI.jpg

76U56e.jpg

OZFB6s.jpg

The wall tiles have been fitted before the tiles the basin sits on.

Any help would be grand.

Thanks so much.

J

jaydebruyne

That is possible yes... Just i think the disturbance might be less .. Cut a small inspection hole and investigate..
I think that might be a plan. I have an inspection camera I can put through the hole and have a butchers and if it's a no go then I can just plaster the hole and wash my hands with it, only not with the leaking basin tap :p

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
I may be barking up the wrong tree here, excuse me if am - stone scrubber not even a tiler
Are the cartridges similar to a shower double valve- I had leaking cartridges which were seized when moved in my house, mate plumber said he would remove whole valve from back.

Salts had formed which may have led to this, I dabbed combinations of a light dilute acid on a cotton bud and then some wd40 on to cartridge. hour later they shifted.
This may be completely wrong for the tap.

J

jaydebruyne

I
I may be barking up the wrong tree here, excuse me if am - stone scrubber not even a tiler
Are the cartridges similar to a shower double valve- I had leaking cartridges which were seized when moved in my house, mate plumber said he would remove whole valve from back.

Salts had formed which may have led to this, I dabbed combinations of a light dilute acid on a cotton bud and then some wd40 on to cartridge. hour later they shifted.
This may be completely wrong for the tap.
I sprayed a load of penetrating oil on them while I was there which usually does the trick in 5 minutes, but they just wouldn't shift. The cartridges are pretty much the same as any kitchen or basin tap quarter turn (ceramic disc) cartridge.

Believe me, no one wante those cartridges out more than me haha

J

jaydebruyne

I can see nothing but a world of pain if you tried to remove the tiles.......shelf to remove,mirror to remove,the chance of causing damage to neighbouring tiles,which are then locked in behind the LHS tiles,the risk of damaging the basin.........the list goes on......
Agreed. However I would have removed the basin beforehand. I'm going in from behind, god willing lol

I

Ian

So, I'm going to do the tap another time, I've got a couple other things to do at the property. One of them being re-grouting the shower area as a lot of it has cracked. I know this must be a lame question but I've never done it so I'd like to get some expert advice.

What's the best way to re-grout?

Basic to you pros but I'm still in tiling nappies!
A multi tool is by far the easiest way of doing it, I've had to replace 5 tiles on a floor today and used my Fein to cut the grout out before removing the tiles, I was still bored to death but, at least it was easy :tearsofjoy:

J

jaydebruyne

A multi tool is by far the easiest way of doing it, I've had to replace 5 tiles on a floor today and used my Fein to cut the grout out before removing the tiles, I was still bored to death but, at least it was easy :tearsofjoy:
Agreed. I use my multi tool when I have to cut out tiles to get to water parts. But the actual re-grouting.. Sad to admit it but, how do I do it??

I

Ian

Grout doesn't crack without a reason. Something else going on there!
Agreed. I use my multi tool when I have to cut out tiles to get to water parts. But the actual re-grouting.. Sad to admit it but, how do I do it??
you've lost me now, how do you regrout? Cut the old stuff out (with a multi tool) then put some new grout in. As wrighty has pointed out, if the grout is cracking out, there's a fair old chance that the tiles being loose is the reason.

Reply to Tile Removal - Nightmare Job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement