Discuss Tile cross joint tolerance? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Italy

tilers must understand that nowadays
it takes more time to explain that to work.
otherwise you may have problems at the end of the job.

T

Tile Shop

Ok cheers Paul . Lesson learnt

Maybe, but don't kick yourself too much about it. You can still use the tiles sizes to your defence. they're all fixed, you have examples of how the size caused a problem and there was hardly any way round it (there may have been but you don't need to tell them that). Ok so you haven't done yourself many favours by not raising it sooner, but still sounds to me like your customer is a bit of a tw4t.

O

Old Mod

I had an issue recently, after breaking 3 2.4 x 1.2m pieces I downed tools and refused to work with them any longer.
They were bowed and tensioned, and wasn’t going to be blamed for poor workmanship.

5324B56E-6C51-40E7-9DA8-7011B758F8E1.jpeg

Two pieces back to back!
14D979A8-0EFF-4142-8002-4BB3BB419238.jpeg

27mm!
ACCD7589-15B3-41EB-A842-CDC94F5BF1BD.jpeg

398071F4-89D5-436C-AF61-139F9A066519.jpeg

U.K. rep couldn’t deal with it, I wanted to back 28 pieces, had to wait 10 days for factory rep.
As he came in he was already filming my equipment and table. Insisted we moved a couple around the room to my table and ask that we cut them.
Of course they cut first time, why wouldn’t they, the rep was there!
After inspecting the material and my work, he refused to return them, however, he asked that we carry on best we could and said that they had put 10 pieces of same batch to one side for replacements, and agreed to replace any and all broken pieces.
He added, they also had a complete new batch on standby if things didn’t improve.
So whilst I didn’t get what I wanted, ie all changed, as far as I was concerned it was a win for me and proved to client and contractor that I wasn’t a complete numpty anyway.
So it does pay to be vigilant and to trust your instinct and complain when you feel it’s the right thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

I had an issue recently, after breaking 3 2.4 x 1.2m pieces I downed tools and refused to work with them any longer.
They were bowed and tensioned, and wasn’t going to be blamed for poor workmanship.

View attachment 99200

Two pieces back to back!
View attachment 99198

27mm!
View attachment 99199

View attachment 99197

U.K. rep couldn’t deal with it, I wanted to back 28 pieces, had to wait 10 days for factory rep.
As he came in he was already filming my equipment and table. Insisted we moved a couple around the room to my table and ask that we cut them.
Of course they cut first time, why wouldn’t they, the rep was there!
After inspecting the material and my work, he refused to return them, however, he asked that we carry on best we could and said that they had put 10 pieces of same batch to one side for replacements, and agreed to replace any and all broken pieces.
He added, they also had a complete new batch on standby if things didn’t improve.
So whilst I didn’t get what I wanted, ie all changed, as far as I was concerned it was a win for me and proved to client and contractor that I wasn’t a complete numpty anyway.
So it does pay to be vigilant and to trust your instinct and complain when you feel it’s the right thing to do.
and with this, you have twice denigrated Italians...:(

Reply to Tile cross joint tolerance? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks