Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Boards to Masonry wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all.
Am currently replacing bathroom wall tiles. Walls are a mixture of stud and masony. Taking off the old tiles resulted in replacing the old plasterboard with STS tile boards. All done. Coming to masony wall behing the toilet, a little of the plaster has come away from this wall. It says the boards can be fixed to block/masonry and seems to suggest with tile adhesive. Would this be sufficient to hold tile backer boards. Have seen people do this to fix to concrete floors but not walls. Hardie boards seem to have fixings for this but STS dont (they are different i know)
Thanks
John

20201118_182249.jpg

Reaction score
You wont be able to fix the boards with just tile adhesive, as plaster can only take 20kg per metre, so by the time you have tiled the board as well, you will be well over the maximum weight. I would patch the wall up then mechanically fix the boards with plenty of plugs and screws. Or alternatively use one of the other types of board with their mechanical fixings.

Reaction score
Thanks both, I used the same tile boards and used flexible tile adhesive along with plugs and screws (with their special washers as per the picture which avoid the screw pulling through the boards) once dried. Boards seem very solid on the walls. definitely just the tile adhesive wouldn't have been enough in my opinion. thanks again.

Reply to Tile Boards to Masonry wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen