Search the forum,

Discuss Slip Rating For Floor Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Or perhaps bathrooms / wet areas?
How much does a PTV change when a tile is wet?
polished porc will get on avarage ptv 60 70 dry 16 20 wet
on a tile thats wet ptv 36 / dry 48 / on avarage

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So a massive different when wet for polished porcelain.
Awesome PTV's when dry. Perhaps not so clever for a wet area if as low as PTV16 - 20?

I'm getting into this considering I didn't even hear the term used since last night.

Can't believe we all don't have these values in our minds and mentioned as much as weight limits for tiles etc because it seems just as important and probably the main factor when floors are considered, like a main factor for walls is a weight limit.

Maybe mosaic versions of all the wall tiles should be made for the floors in said bathrooms and customers advised of the ice-rink-style slippage when using polished porcelain tiles on floors?!

Reaction score
The PTV should be considered in relation to the area the tile is placed in. In many instances the PTV in wet conditions should be checked and recommended by the tiler.

I am in the process of choosing and ordering tiles for a butchers floor which is often covered in blood and needs hosing down daily. I find it safest to turn to experts like Dorset Wooliscroft (now part of Original Style family). They give PTV for both wet and dry conditions in their tile brochure - I am recommending the butcher goes for a wet PTV rating of 54, and will specify epoxy grout.

As to whether or not commercial shop traders need anti-slip tiles - well has anyone been into a Debenhams lately? Polished porcelain on the floor, but with matting at the entrance, and additional floor mats placed near the entrance when heavy rain falling outside. As tilers we can recommend and point out the risks of certain types of tile, but the use of the floor is up to the individual in charge of the premises.

So that kinda answers my feelings on the survey. As tilers we need to be informed, advise and make recommendations. I often give a percentage risk of (cracking, tile debonding, slip) of a danger or problem, but let the customer choose what to do. Use of the tiled area becomes their responsibility if we give informed advice. And I don't want to lose too much potential work by telling customers I won't tile if they ignore my advice.

R

have been doing a little testing today on the same range of tiles here s the sort of results you can get

Attachments

• Report_2015_07_14_15_58.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Report_2015_07_14_16_02.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Report_2015_07_14_16_10.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 17

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
have been doing a little testing today on the same range of tiles here s the sort of results you can get
Had to go to my mac then to see them PDF's. Else I'd have replied earlier. This is something I seem to be interested in just lately.

So the Paris C3 passes with flying colours even when wet. But the C1 and C2 seem to be brilliant dry, but below what you'd want in a wet area?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The PTV should be considered in relation to the area the tile is placed in. In many instances the PTV in wet conditions should be checked and recommended by the tiler.

I am in the process of choosing and ordering tiles for a butchers floor which is often covered in blood and needs hosing down daily. I find it safest to turn to experts like Dorset Wooliscroft (now part of Original Style family). They give PTV for both wet and dry conditions in their tile brochure - I am recommending the butcher goes for a wet PTV rating of 54, and will specify epoxy grout.

As to whether or not commercial shop traders need anti-slip tiles - well has anyone been into a Debenhams lately? Polished porcelain on the floor, but with matting at the entrance, and additional floor mats placed near the entrance when heavy rain falling outside. As tilers we can recommend and point out the risks of certain types of tile, but the use of the floor is up to the individual in charge of the premises.

So that kinda answers my feelings on the survey. As tilers we need to be informed, advise and make recommendations. I often give a percentage risk of (cracking, tile debonding, slip) of a danger or problem, but let the customer choose what to do. Use of the tiled area becomes their responsibility if we give informed advice. And I don't want to lose too much potential work by telling customers I won't tile if they ignore my advice.
They'll use tiles that meet the PTV even for wet areas, else they'd not get insured to open the shop when it's raining. I'd assume. And they have various other risk assessments going on that stipulate wet floor signs when wet and whatnot.

I'm talking about bathrooms though, and perhaps even more-so, actual wetrooms. Surely if they're always wet, and some have a fall to a drain, you're asking for trouble.

Then if it's an elderly person, who loves her porcelain, wants a wetroom with not much space available, meaning the fall is going to be a degree or two deeper than a large wet room that can have a slight slope, do we start to do a risk assessment in our heads and say no, I'd just rather not? Or take the money and do it?

I'm just thinking out loud here. When I looked for PTV threads or even threads talking about slippy tiles in wet areas, we just don't seem to have much discussion on it. Yet when I look for threads where we're talking about tiling walls with heavy tiles, the next 30 posts in the thread are asking about weight of tiles and warning of the outcome etc etc etc

So it's good that we discuss it, even if at the end we seem to come to a conclusion of considering the risks a bit more, but not turning down work, perhaps just persuading a little better when an old lady hasn't thought about the risk or whatever.

R

Had to go to my mac then to see them PDF's. Else I'd have replied earlier. This is something I seem to be interested in just lately.

So the Paris C3 passes with flying colours even when wet. But the C1 and C2 seem to be brilliant dry, but below what you'd want in a wet area?
well it seems as you go darker the ptv seems to increase so tomorrow c4 c 5 see how that goes

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
well it seems as you go darker the ptv seems to increase so tomorrow c4 c 5 see how that goes
Really?!

Good find that mate!

Need to test way more than a few to get it conclusive I guess but that's a start.

Do you have any clue as to why that is? Do darker porcelains have more resins in or something?

Reply to Slip Rating For Floor Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen