Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Slip Rating For Floor Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
SLIP RATING FOR FLOOR TILES IN THE UK

image.jpg
image.jpg

Floorslip.co.uk recommnds minimum ptv36 as Ray has said before now. But actually it perhaps should be more than that?

Who else is clued up on this?

Last edited:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had a nightmare with this last year, client was insisting on a certain type of tile and wouldn't listen about safety aspects. It was on a slope directly off the pavement into a shop, I had to get all this info to show them and eventually convince them to change it otherwise I was walking away.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd never even heard of the pendulum test until Ray said it. So perhaps something others need to get clued up on the slip rating for floor tiles too.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've just read the other thread about this and I made that mistake too, went back with all the R ratings then found out that's a waste of time and had to find out all the PTV's

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah apparently they're quite relaxed with the R rating and tend to over assume the tiles r rating quite a bit.

Pendulum test is the one the trust.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
And if you're to over engineer a little like everything else in the tiling world (cutter breakers, tile adhesives and grouts, tile sealers etc) then you want PTV38 or PTV 40 ish.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well had a tile shop ask me to check a tile speced for a hotel project had R10 rate tested it for them it came out bang on ptv 36 .but other R10 have been as low as ptv 20 so i have no trust in the R rating .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ptv 36 1 in a million . to bring things into balance friday night out of a million people 10% get drunk spend the rest of the night falling over thats 100 thousand people .
Sorry I got those the wrong way round didn't I!

You want the 1 in a million or even less.

The 1 in 100,000 is what you don't want. As you say.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
PTV 51 is in the green. How many millions can walk on it for 1 to slip on that floor?
image.jpg

R

i would say the same number /the higher values are more to deal with floors that will due to work being carried out suffer high contamination every day ie garage work shops .restarant kitchens .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Or perhaps bathrooms / wet areas?
How much does a PTV change when a tile is wet?

R

Or perhaps bathrooms / wet areas?
How much does a PTV change when a tile is wet?
polished porc will get on avarage ptv 60 70 dry 16 20 wet
on a tile thats wet ptv 36 / dry 48 / on avarage

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So a massive different when wet for polished porcelain.
Awesome PTV's when dry. Perhaps not so clever for a wet area if as low as PTV16 - 20?

I'm getting into this considering I didn't even hear the term used since last night.

Can't believe we all don't have these values in our minds and mentioned as much as weight limits for tiles etc because it seems just as important and probably the main factor when floors are considered, like a main factor for walls is a weight limit.

Maybe mosaic versions of all the wall tiles should be made for the floors in said bathrooms and customers advised of the ice-rink-style slippage when using polished porcelain tiles on floors?!

Reaction score
The PTV should be considered in relation to the area the tile is placed in. In many instances the PTV in wet conditions should be checked and recommended by the tiler.

I am in the process of choosing and ordering tiles for a butchers floor which is often covered in blood and needs hosing down daily. I find it safest to turn to experts like Dorset Wooliscroft (now part of Original Style family). They give PTV for both wet and dry conditions in their tile brochure - I am recommending the butcher goes for a wet PTV rating of 54, and will specify epoxy grout.

As to whether or not commercial shop traders need anti-slip tiles - well has anyone been into a Debenhams lately? Polished porcelain on the floor, but with matting at the entrance, and additional floor mats placed near the entrance when heavy rain falling outside. As tilers we can recommend and point out the risks of certain types of tile, but the use of the floor is up to the individual in charge of the premises.

So that kinda answers my feelings on the survey. As tilers we need to be informed, advise and make recommendations. I often give a percentage risk of (cracking, tile debonding, slip) of a danger or problem, but let the customer choose what to do. Use of the tiled area becomes their responsibility if we give informed advice. And I don't want to lose too much potential work by telling customers I won't tile if they ignore my advice.

Reply to Slip Rating For Floor Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks