Search the forum,

Discuss slate tiles what thickness of ply???????? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jon moore

Hi need some help, just about to do my first slate floor would it be ok to use 4mm ply as floor height is an issue would this be ok to use?

hope someone can give me some advice thanks

D

DHTiling

Hi jon and welcome....4mm ply...sorry NO...

What substrate do you have...floorboards...chipboard etc..?..is it up stairs or down stairs.....

J

jon moore

It is on to floor boards and downstairs in kitchen, the reason for height issue is there is not alot of room above the washer under the worktop.
thanks for reply

D

DHTiling

6mm hardi backer is good....make sure the floor boards are solid and well screwed down then use a flexible adhesive to stick the boards down...then scew the hardi backer down every 200mm and around 50mm in from the corners and edges..

Mapei keraquick is a good adhesive for this job...:thumbsup:

J

jon moore

thanks dave were is the best place to buy these 6mm boards from and also if i was to use ply what is the smallest thickness i could use

thanks for your help

S

smurf21

18mm ply min recommended but a 6mm backer board ie NO MORE PLY is strength equvilent,
Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to slate tiles what thickness of ply???????? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen