Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Silicone internal corners... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

doug boardley

i'm trying to understand your post, when tiling the first wall into the corner, leave a gap of 2/3 mm for expansion. when tiling the second wall into the same corner leave a gap of 2mm between the 2 tiles again for expansion. rake out any grout from the expansion joint prior to siliconing
lol, thought it just me

D

davemul

Phew! I'm glad I looked in to this thread! :detective:

So when I start tiling (I stress WHEN, this bathroom rebuilding lark is tough work!) on each single vertical corner line (4 of them as it is a simple ish 4 walled room), i'll leave a 3mm gap and JUST use silicon.

What is the best silicon on the market at present for this job?

thanks guys!

Oh I kinda understand what RichieHall means... say you have a tile of 9mm thick and lay it just 3mm off from the wall. When you lay tiles on the other wall they will overlap slightly. You will still have a 3mm gap but overlapping edges. So you need to leave a gap of the tile thickness first plus the 3mm

hang on, ill do a dodgy MS paint picture :idea3:..... am I being a tit / teaching you to suck eggs? sorry of so, its not intentional just making sure i've got it right as if i never read this thread, I would have grouted! :44::dunce:

tilespace.JPG

R

Rich

I see what he means, but if a tile is, say, 10mm, you would leave that tile 2-3mm from the wall and then the tile that butts into that one will be left 2-3mm away from that one not the thickness of a tile plus 2-3mm. Basically, you want a 2-3mm gap between tile and anything else.

bathroom 002.jpg bathroom 004.jpg bathroom 005.jpg bathroom 007.jpg

Here are some pics of the silicone in my mothers bathroom, the joint between the bath and the tiles was grouted and then siliconed over the top. You can see in the pics that the grout has cracked and lifted the silicone away with it, leaving a gap for water to get through.

D

davemul

Thats a great advert for never grouting then laying silicon on top!

Also guys, i ASSUME that I will also need to silicone the horizontal join where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles

Should the wall / floors be tiled in order? ie floor first then wall?

R

Rich

I tend to tile the floor first but it depends on the room. Are the wall tiles the same size as the floor tiles? If so bare this in mind when you are setting out. In this case I would tile the floor first then the walls.

R

Rich

Oh just for the record, I didnt do the tiling in my mothers bathroom :lol:

It was tiled when I was about 10 by my step farther.

D

davemul

Not 100% sure on floor tiles yet mate.

First it was going to be a dark floor light wall... but bathroom is small with no natural light so now going all light.

Wall tiles are large oblong. Im not sure whether to go same size for the floor or square!? ive been uming and ahhing for weeks on this.

what do you reckon out of curiosity?

D

davemul

oh and also im undecided whether to tile the wall in a brick pattern or normal stacked!?

aaarrghhh!

R

Rich

I dont like to get involved with what looks the best as everybody has different taste. Just keep in mind that if your wall tiles are say 300x600mm and you go for 300x300 floor tiles, then the tiling will look much nicer if you can follow the joints along the floor and up the walls. the same goes if you go for 300x600mm on both walls and floor (brick bond or not). You are going to want to take your time when planning out the lay out of this room, its worth it as the planning can make the difference between a good and a bad tiling job.

Reply to Silicone internal corners... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks