Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Silicone internal corners... in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I did a repair on a Huge house a few months ago because the tiler had not sealed properly around the shower tray, water had got behind the tiles and ruined the plasterboard. I got a call from the lady the other day asking if I could go round and take a look at the other shower room, the silicone had gone black and could I replace it. As I was only working round the corner I popped round yesterday. I wish I had taken my camera...
The tiles were hanging off the wall, huge cracks along the grouting, the internal corners had been grouted then siliconed, the silicone was totaly black, the shower screen hadnt been siliconed and there were several holes in the grout. The worst part was that she told me that he is a 'really good tiler' :yikes: :mad2:
I told her that I could only do a patch up job there and then but she was going to have problems down the line. Let this be a lesson to all, grout in internal corners will crack and come loose taking any silicone ontop of it with it.

OP
F

faithhealer

I missed out on a bathroom last year because I was too busy, and , same as you Richard got asked to go and look at another guys work. Huge cracks in the grout in the corners. Just backheeled it and told her to get the tiler back

OP
S

StanleyES

From the post's i have read it seems the general consensus is to leave an expansion gap in internals, then silicone internals and allow to dry, then grout.
This made sense to me (although i'm only a DIY'er). I was about to start siliconing the internal corners of my shower yesterday and started wondering about the butt joint that will be formed between the grout and the silicone. Won't this be a weak joint and a likely source of water penetration?

OP
P

paulyoung666

From the post's i have read it seems the general consensus is to leave an expansion gap in internals, then silicone internals and allow to dry, then grout.
This made sense to me (although i'm only a DIY'er). I was about to start siliconing the internal corners of my shower yesterday and started wondering about the butt joint that will be formed between the grout and the silicone. Won't this be a weak joint and a likely source of water penetration?

not sure i have read you right here , but , the silicone takes the place of the grout :)

OP
S

Scott

If you apply a bead of silicone to the vertical joint before you grout the grout should be pushed in behind the silicone bead (after silicone is dry obviously)

I tend to grout first but leave the vertical join and silicone after its all dry

OP
S

StanleyES

I thought that you pretty much filled the expansion gaps with silicone, (When you smooth it off with your finger). Once this had been done you then grout. This would mean the grout would simply butt up against your dry silicone joints. I just couldn't imagine the grout would seal against the dry silicone very well, i may well be wrong! Does grout shrink at all as it dries, if so this would definitely make the joint weak.

Whereas, doing it the other way round (As Scottley says) i can see the silicone will make a good seal when you smooth it off.
(My only thought with his method is that you need to have more accuracy applying the grout, making sure you get right up to the vertical joint without getting any in it)

What do think, am i worrying needlessly?

OP
M

mikethetile

I thought that you pretty much filled the expansion gaps with silicone, (When you smooth it off with your finger). Once this had been done you then grout. This would mean the grout would simply butt up against your dry silicone joints. I just couldn't imagine the grout would seal against the dry silicone very well, i may well be wrong! Does grout shrink at all as it dries, if so this would definitely make the joint weak.

Whereas, doing it the other way round (As Scottley says) i can see the silicone will make a good seal when you smooth it off.
(My only thought with his method is that you need to have more accuracy applying the grout, making sure you get right up to the vertical joint without getting any in it)

What do think, am i worrying needlessly?

I understand your point

yes grout does shrink back a small amount as it dries but ive never known this to be a problem

I grout first leaving corner corner clear and then silicone when grouts dry

its just common sense to me as the other siliconing is done after grouting and I do it all in one

Reply to Silicone internal corners... in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock