Discuss Silicone internal corners... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rich

As above. I grout first, then when the grout is just setting off, I run a paint scrapper (gently) along all the joints that are going to be siliconed to remove the grout. Then I come back to silicone when the grout is dry and the room clean.

C

carole m

I want the internal corner in my shower just grouted with bathroom grout, i hate the sight of silicone, in many hotels in showers you never see silicone and in many new builds i do not see silicone, i have had silicone in bathrooms before and it has gone mouldy and looks bad, i understand i would have to re-grout every so often. if it is the case that it is because it is an internal corner. can ti be siliconed and then grout on top so as to make all the tiling look the some.

DJS

TF
Reaction score
Hi Carole, the internal corners should not be filled with grout. The gap is filled with flexible silicone, so that it does not crack due to heat expansion. If it is filled with grout it will crack, it is not the way it should be done.

I'm not saying all contractors working on commercial projects such as hotels and new builds are bad, I have seen both excellent and some shocking examples myself.

If you are having problems with mould growth, then you need to ensure your background is prepared properly, use suitable grout protector, and a decent mould resistant silicone (preferably matching your grout colour, so it look like a grout line). Plus using a proper cleaning product, to remove soapy residues from grout and tile surface once every few months, should all add up to keeping it looking like new.

Also, if your tiler uses a silicone shaping tool, and cornertape/masking tape, then the silicone joint will be nice and tidy. Not sploged in and smoothed over with a finger, which I guess is what alot of people are used to seeing. So, just because your used to seeing something done a particular way, doesn't mean it is the right way to do it!!

Good Luck

Last edited:
D

diamondtiling

HI Carole and welcome to Tilersforums. All good advice from DJS, you do need silicone rather than grout in the internal corners. Just get a quality brand and someone who can apply it properly. Silicone turns black and unsightly because of soaps and bodyfats during showers etc
and showers are always worse than baths for these types of problems.

R

Rich

I agree with both the guys above and I doubt you will find anybody on here that will say we are wrong. I really couldnt count how many rooms I have put right after thousands of pounds worth of damage has been done to the house just because the "tiler :)mad2:)" didnt know or couldnt be bothereds to use silicone.

It is not that we like to use silicone, it would be a lot easier and quicker just to grout the joints in but it WILL fail and water will destroy the wall and floor behind the tiling.

As has been said above, a neat silicone joint that has been done by a pro will blend in with the rest of the room, a bad messy joint done by a monkey will look awful.

J

jubba

Hi Carole, the internal corners should not be filled with grout. The gap is filled with flexible silicone, so that it does not crack due to heat expansion. If it is filled with grout it will crack, it is not the way it should be done.

All makes sense about using silicone in the corners.

So when you fix the tiles should a deliberate gap be left (use spacers) in the corner rather then butting the tiles together?

R

Rich

All makes sense about using silicone in the corners.

So when you fix the tiles should a deliberate gap be left (use spacers) in the corner rather then butting the tiles together?

Yes, I use wedges and leave about 2mm :thumbsup:

J

jubba

Would the same expansion gap be left when tiling down to bath, to leave a void to fill with silicone?

Or should the tiles actually rest on the edges of the bath then silicone across the joint?

H

hillhead

Jubba and FreeD, leave a gap down the internal corner 2mm minimum.
Do not use flexible grout then silicon over.
Grout all walls leaving the vertical corners clear of grout.
When grout dry and any cleaning off done silicon the corners with a colour to match the grout.

H

hillhead

Would the same expansion gap be left when tiling down to bath, to leave a void to fill with silicone?

Or should the tiles actually rest on the edges of the bath then silicone across the joint?

Yes jubba, leave again about 2mm along bath and fill gap when grout is dry.

R

Rich

As above, if you grout then silicone over the top, the grout will tend to crack and come loose and take the silicone away with it over time.

R

RichieHall

I'm just about to do a similar job, so let me just recap the above advice to make sure I understand,

For an internal corner I would need to leave a gap between the wall and tile of the tile depth (+ Adhesive) plus about 3mm on both walls, leaving a 3mm diagonal gap between the two tiled walls, then fill the gap with silicone?

J

JMW

I'm just about to do a similar job, so let me just recap the above advice to make sure I understand,

For an internal corner I would need to leave a gap between the wall and tile of the tile depth (+ Adhesive) plus about 3mm on both walls, leaving a 3mm diagonal gap between the two tiled walls, then fill the gap with silicone?

Spot On.

M

Mike

i'm trying to understand your post, when tiling the first wall into the corner, leave a gap of 2/3 mm for expansion. when tiling the second wall into the same corner leave a gap of 2mm between the 2 tiles again for expansion. rake out any grout from the expansion joint prior to siliconing

Reply to Silicone internal corners... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks