Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Self Leveling Compound in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the process of a living room over haul, I have removed the fireplace and hearth. The floor is laminate over vinyl tiles and I intend to fit a new laminate floor. Over the vinyl. Where the hearth was is rough and low so I was going to use self leveling compound to smooth it up with the surrounding floor.

I looked in ' b&q!' And they sell a unibond slc, I read the instructions and it said about PVA before applying it so wasn't sure about that!

Assuming SBR would be better? Any gd brands of SLC to look for?

Clean n dry floor
Sbr
Apply self level

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Can you find a better local supplier. The unibond stuff is rubbish. ( no latex)
Search for a local supplier of Tilemaster, Webber or mappai

F

Flintstone

Go to a good tile shop and get a good branded slc. Prime floor with acrylic primer or sbr, once dry. Level it. If your leveling over the old vinyl tiles I would make a slurry coat and put that on first and leave to dry.

Reaction score
I will try the local tile shop, was just wondering more about the priming. Pva always flags up as a no no/ bad advice with me.

I'm self leveling over screed, the vinyl tiles were fitted around the old hearth.

I'll try and upload a pic

Reaction score
image.jpg

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok so did this today hopefully correctly!

Primed the floor with acrylic primer I had from last year. Hoping it was ok as it smelt the same as when I got it.

Prob being a bit reckless as it's not being tiled so if worst happened I can lift the laminate. How do you know if the primer is ok? There's no use by etc on the bottle .

I got self levelling compound from my local tile shop arc high build and used it. Here's the results, hoping it dries ok!
The floor I think was sloping up slightly towards the heart so I have the edges of
image.jpg
image.jpg
original floor coming through at each side but hoping the underlay plus the few mm height of the surrounding vinyl will make it ok!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Self Leveling Compound in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks