Discuss School boy error in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rodders26

Have just finished a full bathroom and forgot to prime the floor :oops:
I tiled on ply how long will the tiles stay down for, you think i'll get comebacks? Only 3M squared:mad2:

R

rodders26

Was flexible adhesive, the customer bought Pililkingtons home brand and the ply was nailed down onto floor boards.

T

Time's Ran Out

rodders - If its a flexible adhesive - although I didn't know pilkingtons made adhesive, then it should be fine.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

R

rodders26

yeah thanks thought i might get away with it using flexi stuff.
Pilkingtons have a wide range of adhesives and grouts Time less.
Ain't the best stuff in the world but ok for small ceramic jobs.

T

Time's Ran Out

The fact the ply is nailed down would be more worrying to me :yikes:

It would also depend on how thick the ply was/why was it ply in the first place/and if its not the best adhesive in the world - why.
But a flexi adhesive should stick to plywood, but your correct to point out the plywood may not stay on the sub floor!

Timeless John.:thumbsup:

C

CJ CERAMICS

as pointed out before the flexi addy should stick to ply but i would be more concerned about the nails coming loose in the ply.

G

Gazzer

Most adhesive manufacturers say priming the face of ply is not needed anyway but i would be concerned more about the nails and thickness of the ply, also was it WBP ply or cheap stuff.
Also any of the other points stated above.

C

CJ CERAMICS

the flexible adhesive should stick to the ply......but ply nailed down this would concern me as nails tend to work loose over a period of time...luckily or unluckily depending on which way you look at it 3m2 is not a massive area so hopefully deflection will be at a minimum.

:oops:sorry first post didnt seem to register then both registered at once
chris

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rodders26

It was an over enthusiastic customer who wanted to keep costs low so he wanted to ply out the floor, and he supplied all the grout and adhesive, just had to make do with what i had.I seen the ply before he put it down it was ample enough for the job as the floor boarding was in very good condition anyway.Could'nt tell you the thickness though.

D

Daz

It sounds as though you may get lucky.

I'm more concerened that if you saw the ply before it was fixed, you would know whether it was 5mm, 12mm or 18mm thick (if you can't tell the difference then contact Specsavers with all haste!). But most important, why didn't you offer to ply it yourself? or at least tell him it needed screwing at 150mm centres? 3sqm would have been plyed, stuck and grouted in a day, and you would still be able to collect the kids from school :lol::lol:. I would have charged a day rate and done the whole job correctly :thumbsup:.

Reply to School boy error in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’ve been trying to seek advice on whether the recently finished tiling/grouting in my...
Replies
Views
I'm refitting our bathroom which is about 3m sq and am putting in a wetroom shower in the corner...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay