Search the forum,

Discuss Schluter Questions in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

J Sid

I went to a schluter demo at CTD Colchester on Tuesday afternoon, was looking forward to it and had a list of questions to ask.
I asked many question and on the whole was given answer to most of what I asked, a couple they couldn't answer and said so.
I did question a few answers I received as it was different to what I had read on there website, got blank look from the schluter team :(
questions asked
what adhesive should be used to stick Ditra down?. Answer C2
what, no need to use a adhesive suitable for substrate?. Answer, no! Just a C2
really! That's not what your website says...blank look:(
TileMaster recommend ultimate S2 ?
Answer, what there most expensive one, no a C2 is all you need. Laughing.

Also asked
should a rapid or slow set be used for fixing Ditra and does the adhesive need to be cured before fixes can be started?
Answer, rapid or slow can be used and doesn't need to be cure before tiling.
I questioned this and said if it's not cured and a tile had to be lifted this would pull the Ditra up, responce.....why would you want to lift a tile? !!!!

also asked if kerdi coll is vapour proof as well as waterproof. Answer, yes it is and is the only one in the UK to meet EU regulations. This I don't know but find it hard to believe it's the only one in the UK to meet EU regs.

After contemplating this last night and reading responses this morning I email schluter. God what a mission.....they really don't like responding in full to your questions or queries.

so email question, what adhesive to use to stick Ditra. answer, C2 or C2F or AF200 can be used on ply.
Did ask what adhesive they recommend for other substrates, answer, speak to your adhesive manufacturer.
On the question of does the adhesive which is used to fix the Ditra need to be set before tiles are laid, answer, yes, both slow or rapid.
"we understand you have been advised to use C2...suitable for most applications....screed/timber sub floors

sorry for any confusion I may or may not have coursed recently on any post I made. Hopefully I have got to the bottom of the issue, which after many emails has only confirmed what I already know, and I have learnt not to listen to company sales staff on technical matters.

O

One Day

Companies must stick to the "corporate policies". We though, have the benefit of using our own common sense and experience to see past or even through corporate policy.

Today for instance I bought 30x20kg TM Anhyfix to stick down my Ditra to a laitence-free, primed anhydrite screed. Schluter will not guarantee the install as they've not officially tested the adhesive with Ditra.

Common sense and experience tells me it's a far safer and better thing to use than any old C2.

I guess the shortfall is when we come up against something unfamiliar though - then we naturally look to the companies for guidance.
Their advice is well worth asking but I'd seriously ALWAYS jump on here and ask opinions too.

Reply to Schluter Questions in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen