Search the forum,

Discuss Resin backed stone - adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

IHB

Is there a good adhesive to use on resin backed stone or is it best to score/grind the resin mesh?

W

White Room

If it was a resin tile a 2 part addy, not sure on resin backed stone, seems a right old mixture.

I

IHB

It's Marble with a mesh stuck to the back with some type of glue/resin. I believe it's done to reinforce the veins in the tiles. Most seem strong enough to hold without the mesh but guess it helps handling & transport.

J

J Sid

Came across this about 5 years ago. Marble with resin backed webbing. At the time no adhesive suppliers would guarantee a way to do it. So scratch the back and buttered with adhesive plus add mix. Did work, had no come backs.

I

IHB

Large tiles are 600x400. Mosaics are 50x50.

Not porcelanosa Bri

I could grind the back off the large tiles but the mosaics are a worry. As well as the resin mesh they are mounted on a second mesh that seems to use a water soluble glue rather than the (probably) epoxy based backing. So the mosaics have both - you wonder if any of the tile will be in contact with the adhesive!

C

Concrete guy

You need to ask the stone supplier for their specification, not the adhesive manufacturers.

This is normal on softer marbles, Crema Marfil, Rojo Alicante, most of the Emperadors etc and is, as already suggested, to help keep the tile/slab intact during transport and handling.

The manufacturer of the stone will be able to supply you with a spec for their choice of resin mesh and details of which adhesives are suitable or not.

I

IHB

Supplier was happy with Weber but Weber list resin backed as not suitable. Guess there are different types of resins & Weber might just be covering themselves?

Reply to Resin backed stone - adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
The saga of my hollow floor 50sqm continues. All tiles now lifted but there is adhesive around...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen