Discuss Regrout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Has anyone ever been brave enough to attempt a regrout on a floor with electric heating under it? If so, how did you go about it? I understand from the client that the mat wasn't SLC'd before tiling, so that adds to the issue. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bri.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

Reaction score
Not me but if you think about it the old grout needs to be removed or at least dropped in level a fair bit ,so this instantly brings in to play the depth of the heating elements /pipes , you would need to write a disclaimer to cover your responsibility for the heating before you give it a go, then why bother the risk if you have plenty of other work on me thinks :smilewinkgrin:

P

prceramics

What about if you only take about 3mm out with a rake and sign the disclaimer aswell might be an easy job :)

C

charlie1

Just take out 3mm bri, use a fein and you could place a clamp on it that would stop the blade dropping bellow 3mm! No problem bud!

I

Ian

I'm always up for a challenge but not if it's going to end up costing me money. When I've done regrouts in the past, I've always gone to the bottom of the joint, this is not possible on this job so maybe it's best just to say no.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I done one. Took about 2/3 depth of grout out with Fein. Wouldn't do it again, not because I was worried about damaging heat mat, but because regrouts suck. Coloured a couple since then - so if the grouts in good nick, go for that option mate.

I

Ian

Non flex grout used on a wooden substrate, so it's all cracked! That's why I need to get the lot out, almost impossible without damaging the mat.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

P

prceramics

Never done a grout re colour yet how do the prices compare to charging for you're labour and a bag of grout as in a re grout

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Easy to do - I use 2 different brands depending on colour I want. They're Epoxy based so good and long lasting. If going on flexi grout then cleaning the old grout with a diluted phosphoric acid is recommended to strip the surface polymers (obviously you wouldn't do this with acid sensitive tiles).
Paint on with a suitably sized paintbrush, leave for a few minutes and wipe off - the colouring comes off the tiles and stays on the grout.
Fast easy work, soo much easier than a regrout.

B

bugs183

Surely it's going to crack again, and you'll carry the burden of agro then.
I would have said do it with a fein and use a clamp, but now you've said it's onto wood then it's a different job all together by the sounds of it.

N

NZ_Tiler

Easy to do - I use 2 different brands depending on colour I want. They're Epoxy based so good and long lasting. If going on flexi grout then cleaning the old grout with a diluted phosphoric acid is recommended to strip the surface polymers (obviously you wouldn't do this with acid sensitive tiles).
Paint on with a suitably sized paintbrush, leave for a few minutes and wipe off - the colouring comes off the tiles and stays on the grout.
Fast easy work, soo much easier than a regrout.

I'm interested in this type of product. Do you know of a demonstration video about this?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Surely it's going to crack again, and you'll carry the burden of agro then.
I would have said do it with a fein and use a clamp, but now you've said it's onto wood then it's a different job all together by the sounds of it.

Obviously wouldn't be suitable on this job bugs

O

Olz

I've got a sample bottle of universeal grout colour and seal that trade tiler sell. I'm going to try a small test area this week. I'll do a before and after pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to Regrout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay