Search the forum,

Discuss Recommended thickness for 600mm x 400mm travertine tiles for outdoor use in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Because the body of travertine is quite holed , even a top quality trav has these but in smaller size compared to lower grade , these can retain water and in the winter months these pockets of water freeze , this then expands and can crack thinner stone.

You can buy 38mm trav which is specifically for exterior use.

With it being a thicker material it is less likely to succumb to such stresses.

Hope that helps.

M

Mike

Because the body of travertine is quite holed , even a top quality trav has these but in smaller size compared to lower grade , these can retain water and in the winter months these pockets of water freeze , this then expands and can crack thinner stone.

You can buy 38mm trav which is specifically for exterior use.

With it being a thicker material it is less likely to succumb to such stresses.

Hope that helps.
isn't it too cold this time of year for exterior laying dave?

Reply to Recommended thickness for 600mm x 400mm travertine tiles for outdoor use in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24" could work also. I am in San Diego, CA, USA, so would need packaging and shipment if not local. here...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.