Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Adhesive and Thickness in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Adamski85

Hi

I'm new to the forums and after a bit of advice. I'll shortly be fitting 10mm 600x300mm porcelain tiles in a bathroom to a MR plasterboard wall and 18mm chipboard floor covered with Hardiebacker. From reading around, I know I need a flexible adhesive, preferably a standard setting one, for the wall at least, possibly rapid set for the floor. My question is, what would be a suitable adhesive, and how thick would the adhesive bed need to be? Would a 10mm notched trowel be suitable or is this too big?

I've seen a tilemaster standard set flexi that I think would be suitable but I can't find any local stockists.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Adam

C

charlie1

The question you are asking about the thickness of the bed is very hard to answer without knowing how straight your walls are! If they are really good, ie no more than a 2-3 mm deviance over an 1800 straight edge then 8mm would be fine. Have the walls been prepared in any way?

A

Adamski85

Thank you both for your replies. The walls are brand new plasterboard so are almost perfect fortunately. They haven't been prepared yet but they will be. As with the adhesive though, I'm a bit unsure which primer to use. I was going to tile straight on to the Hardiebacker, reading the technical sheet, this appears to be ok, unless you guys advise something different

A

Adamski85

Also, am I correct in think back buttering is just putting a 1-2mm flat skim of adhesive on the tile backs?

Reaction score
I usually use Tilemaster or everbuild primers.
Backbuttering is just a flat skim filling the small ridges on the back of the tile.
And your right you dont need it with Hardy. Just make sure your Hardy is clean before tiling.

A

Adamski85

Sorry for all the questions, but are you aware of any tilemaster stockists around leeds? I've seen some adhesive that looks ideal from them but have so far been unable to find any stockists. Thanks again

A

Adamski85

Thanks again for your help. Can you use a different brand of primer to tile adhesive, or should these be matched?

S

Stef

Contact lee @ Tiletown derby, he will sort you out with all TileMaster products.
Always try & stick with the same make of primer to adhesive but it's not a big deal if you don't..

Reply to Porcelain Adhesive and Thickness in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I bought some tiles for my bathroom wall, including a shower over bath area The shop...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen