Search the forum,

Discuss Ply Vs Osb in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Where does Ditra come in this thread?
I thought the OP was suggesting fixing 12mm Hardie direct to joists.

O

Old Mod

It would of bin ideal to rip the old boards up and use hardi floor straight over the joists
Well as your assumption was 12mm backer boards,
My assumption was Hardie 19mm structural boards, as the op mentioned Hardie floor, to me that doesn't read backer board!
And maybe I did make an assumption that he was going to use Ditra.
All I was asking was for u to quantify your statement john.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SJPurdy

I've mentioned tile backer boards but I think it's gonna be ply or osb
Why?
It appears to me (from your post) that you have a wood floor (probably t&g so maybe not flat enough to fix ditra directly) and you are going to fix OSB or Ply (Ply recommended by BS, OSB not as far as I am aware) to make the floor flat so you can fix Ditra to it.
I am really confused as to why you want to continue to consider the unapproved, untested OSB.
Ply is the recommended wood overlay to strengthen a floor if required. There are better tile backer board overlays in my opinion which have been tested to work and if height is an issue then as stated by others the floor could be removed and replaced with eg Hardiefloor.
Then also what is the reason for wanting to use Ditra in addition (there are some valid reasons but not required in every case in my opinion.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No I'm just asking opinions on the subject the builder was asking me what options I can come up with so I posted on here from what I've had back from schluter it's gonna be ply goin down and the reason for ditra is the customer has stipulated the use of Ditra to the builder probably bin on the Internet and bin reading what the customer wants they get

Reply to Ply Vs Osb in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen