Discuss Overboard T&G floorboards with Hardi Backer Board or 12mm Ply? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JaonsS

hello

ive overboarded t&g floorboards with 12m wbp ply before, however ive never used hardie backer board.

I was going to use hardie backer board this time.
18mm T&G existing floorboards.
glue the HB down with rapid set flexi powdered adhesive and screw down with 25mm stainless steel screws every 150mm.

is this just as good as using ply?
is this better than using ply?

is there any reason that either ply is better to use than hardie, or hardie is better to use than ply?

Cost wise, if i just use the Trade Point B&Q price for the ply, and tile supplier for the Hardi this is how much its going to cost.

Bathroom 2300 x 2050

Ply:
12mm External Ply: 2x £21 = £42
Screws £2.50
Total = £44.50

Hardie: 6 x £9.6 = £57.60
Flexi rapid set tile adhesive 1x £12.50
Stainless steel screws £8.50
Fibre tape £5
Total = £83.60

Labour is more for the Hardie too.

Not a huge difference in price really, so is there a difference?

Thanks for any help.

W

White Room

Glue and screw the Hardie, just make sure the floorboards aren't loose, if they are just secure.

J

JaonsS

great thanks for the quick reply.
i assume you screw it straight away as soon as you have stuck it down?

apply the adhesive to the floorboards, put the hardie down, stand on it and screw it in place?

will standard stainless steel 25mm screws be okay to use rather than the official hardie screws? the supplier said to just get stainless screws because its cheaper.

thanks

W

White Room

I fix all the boards then screw, get the spax 25mm screws from screwfix/toolstation.
Use a cement based adhesive s1 preferred with a 6mm trowel, drop 6mm hardie down and walk on them just to bed them in.

J

JaonsS

I was going to use the Tops Tiles Toppfix rapid set flexible powdered. I assume this is okay to use.

W

White Room

I'd do a standard set personally, after screwing the floor will get quite solid.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was going to use the Tops Tiles Toppfix rapid set flexible powdered. I assume this is okay to use.
I usually use tile master adhesives or weber when I can't get it but the last few days I be bin using the top fix as there's a store half mile from the job I'm at and I've bin pleasantly suprised it's really nice to work with

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I usually use tile master adhesives or weber when I can't get it but the last few days I be bin using the top fix as there's a store half mile from the job I'm at and I've bin pleasantly suprised it's really nice to work with
top fix flexy white forgot to say

F

flynny

apply the adhesive to the floorboards, put the hardie down, stand on it and screw it in place?

will standard stainless steel 25mm screws be okay to use rather than the official hardie screws? the supplier said to just get stainless screws because its cheaper.

thanks
Stainless steel screws would cost a fortune definitely cheaper I think your supplier may have his wires crossed

thanks

F

Flintstone

A lot better than ply.
Ply can rot or warp when wet, expand and contract with temp changes, the adhesive bonds a lot better to hardie. The height build up is less with hardie, no brainer!

Reply to Overboard T&G floorboards with Hardi Backer Board or 12mm Ply? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay