Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss OSB + Softwood Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

pt44

Hi chaps

There is a lot of previous discussions on tiling over wooden floors. Usually involves WBP Plywood (Weather & Boil Proof - I always wanted to know what that meant). However, I have a floor to do which is not traditional boards nor is it WBP.

I think its either OSB (Orientated Stranded Board) or Softwood Ply. Now I know they look very different, but my old fuddy brain can't remember which one I saw. I think it was the softwood ply, but thought I'd ask about OSB for future reference at the same time.

So - I could slap on a layer of 18mm WBP - after screwing down the previous surface. However, that is too thick. So I was hoping to get away with the 6mm hardibacker method or no more ply 6mm. But as I already have 2 sheets of hardi in my garage, it would be nice to get rid of them.

Question therefore is - can I put the 6mm hardi over the softwood ply? Presumably being a ply, it is very similar in strength to the WBP. This is going on a bathroom floor, not a wet room. Its then being tiled with Ceramic Tiles. 316 x 316mm. Using Weber SPF to lay them.

Also, do I need to joint the boards with tape. Could I get away with plastering tape - as it looks identical to the hardi stuff - and its not going to need to be waterproof or anything. Floor does not flex at all - from my bounce test.

Thanks in advance

Paul

G

Gazzatile

Hardibacker say that there product is not a replacement for ply but a waterproof layer

Reply to OSB + Softwood Ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks