Search the forum,

Discuss No more ply and joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GoneGuy

Why is it that a lot of you guys on here seem to prefer cement board of any make or description over the Marmox/ wedi type board.
Please don't answer because it is better .
I’ve used wedi, shop ran out of stock and I’ve had to use no more ply for now ;)

D

Dumbo

On timber floors there is a lot of recommendations that involve 6mm hardi backer ( cement board if im not mistaken please feel free to enlighten )

F

Flintstone

6mm hardie And no more ply is very popular for floors and it’s very much aimed for that purpose imo, it does do the job well, it can add rigidity to a floor, and create a more solid feel
Under foot too. But it’s not all rosey, it’s a pig to cut, a pig to carry and it is bad for your health, it’s water resistant, not water proof. Wedi board on the other hand is a joy to cut and fit, it’s super light weight, it’s water proof, what’s not to like? Over a sturdy good timber floor it’s fine to use.

D

Dumbo

6mm hardie And no more ply is very popular for floors and it’s very much aimed for that purpose imo, it does do the job well, it can add rigidity to a floor, and create a more solid feel
Under foot too. But it’s not all rosey, it’s a pig to cut, a pig to carry and it is bad for your health, it’s water resistant, not water proof. Wedi board on the other hand is a joy to cut and fit, it’s super light weight, it’s water proof, what’s not to like? Over a sturdy good timber floor it’s fine to use.
Are you then suggesting hardi is better on a less stable floor and you could use it in a situation you couldn't use wedi .

B

Blunt Tool

Are you then suggesting hardi is better on a less stable floor and you could use it in a situation you couldn't use wedi .
Lay off poor little 6mm no more ply you big bully! :p Never used the stuff but I have used Hardie backer boards on floors in domestic dry areas and have never had any problems so what is your point?

D

Dumbo

Lay off poor little 6mm no more ply you big bully! :p Never used the stuff but I have used Hardie backer boards on floors in domestic dry areas and have never had any problems so what is your point?
I'm not making a point and I'm not talking specifically about nmp I'm asking about cement board in general as from what I've read there seems to be a definite preference to use this over say Wedi board on timber floors and I'm wondering why .

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
cement board is good for over boarding floors where height is an issue, i use nmp as is it available locally and Hardie isn't, but I use cement board as 6mm is within most most manufacter recomendatio s for over boarding a chipboard floor, where as I this k it's minimum of 10mm xps board

D

Dumbo

What do you like to use @jcrtiling ?

I’ve never used hardie
If it is stable enough jackoboard at the moment as that is what my supplier is buying in . I could go to topps ( that only going to happen in a parallel universe ) and buy Hardi backer but as I mentioned in another post a while back I said I was really weedy and it is very heavy

Reply to No more ply and joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen