Search the forum,

Discuss New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 51481

So the cogs have been whirring....as much as I would like to use the wedge boards, they are cost prohibitive. So would staggering the boards down in 2mm increments work instead?

D

Deleted member 51481

Hello, is my idea the sign of a madman or not please. If it is acceptable then I assume i 'gradulise' 2mm increments with SLC

O

Old Mod

Yes what you’re suggesting is possible, bearing in mind the more layers you use, the room for error increases, so be fastidious when fixing boards.
Wipe any dust away, priming them would help.
Do not allow boards to align, brick bond them, and tape all the joints with a wide scrim and flatten with tile adhesive.
Using latex to feather them is possible, but it is designed to flow, so it would have to be a thicker mix, or use rapid setting tile adhesive.
Use standard set when laying floor, and prime the boards and any latex or tile adhesive you’ve previously applied.
You could use a PTB adhesive instead of feathering the boards, (pourable thick bed) this would allow you to still achieve a full bed because it would take up any voids.
However these are invariably rapid setting adhesives, they’re messy and quite difficult to use.
You should only mix small amounts if taking this route, otherwise you’ll throw away more than you use.

The task you are taking on is really quite difficult, even some experienced fitters would struggle to achieve good results.
It’ll take time and patience when laying the floor.
I’d suggest starting at the point of lowest clearance at the bi-folds, and working back to the highest.
Coming up from a low point is far easier than the other way around.
In an ideal world you’d have a straight edge long enough to reach from the old floor to the doors, as this is some 5 metres, it won’t be possible, so you should at least use a sting line, this way you can be sure of an even gradient as the floor falls toward the doors.
You will also need an expansion joint between old and new floors to allow for lateral movement.
Put a tile joint on the expansion joint and fill with a colourmatch silicone to match the grout.

How old is the slab, has it been moisture tested?

You’re a brave man.
Good luck.

D

Deleted member 51481

Correct. Should I cut my loss and go for a a screed. I'm just worried that they won't get the fall right 30mm > 5mm

D

Deleted member 51481

I have a quote from UKScreeds LTD - £1020 inc VAT - to supply and lay 30sqm of low laitance Anhydrite Liquid Screed. They have advised they can create the fall I need but only to a minimum depth of 15mm so i would have to live with a 10mm step on the bifold door cill which is not the end of the world. What do you think of this quote thought - the company looks very reputable?

S

Spare Tool

Personally I wouldn't want a lip on the patio doors, you'll look at it everytime you come through the door knowing it didn't really have to be there.. You could do with getting a tiler round that knows how to prep this properly even if you tile it yourself

Reply to New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen