Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. caley king

caley king Active Member

Hello tilers,

My name is Caley and I thought I would introduce myself to this forum that I stumbled upon having done some preliminary research. I really do the value
    forums such as these as they are a fountain of knowledge and truly help inexperienced people such as myself from making mistakes, costly repairs and avoiding getting ripped off by nefarious characters.

I have just project managed two single storey extensions having only ever dabbled in light DIY and I've made a a few errors along the way but nothing insurmountable.

My current project is to lay a new floor in a kitchen diner, we're at 2nd fix stage so it wont be long until its flooring time!

One of the errors that I made was allowing the groundworker to take the floor levels off the wrong DPC so I have a new concrete base that is 40mm lower than that the existing floor make up of the house.

This has caused me a few nights of restlessness and I've been looking at various flooring options such as engineered wood and porcelain tiles and we have settled on the latter. My main concern is how to increase the floor height by 25-30mm in addition to the 10mm tile. The options I've looked at are screeds, self levelling compounds and thick bed adhesives and ultimately I'm looking at the pros and cons for these three options.

So that's where I'm at the moment and would welcome any advice at this stage.

Cheers
    Caley

2. Waluigi

Waluigi Top Contributor

XPS tile backer board :)

Welcome !

3. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Welcome to the forum

4. Adey1980

Adey1980 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Hello and welcome

5. timeless john

timeless john Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Welcome - as above you can use tile backer boards to build up to your required heights. Available in all thicknesses.
    WORD FOR TODAY.
    Nefarious - Wicked or morally bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Welcome, as above, a backer board is the best option here available in 20 or 30mm

7. Albert

Albert Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Welcome, as above backer board

8. callatiler

callatiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Welcome as above backer board, personally I would use foam backer boards Schlüter, Wedi, Jackoboard, Marmox etc as it’s another layer of insulation ;)
    My word is facetious meaning treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour

9. caley king

caley king Active Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I wasn't even aware of backer boards yet they sound like a good alternative and a cost effective solution!

My initial question would be what if you need to achieve different height thresholds to match the existing internal floor in the existing house (40mm from concrete slab) and external bifolds door cill which ranges from 15mm to 25mm across the width of the doors which span 4 metres ?

10. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum Caley.

11. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If I’m reading this correct I’d say you’ve a job on your hands.
    Are you Tiling existing areas?
    It’s your slab that’s out of level to the Bi-folds I assume?
    The doors are level but low, is that correct.

12. 3_fall

Some images of the new and existing areas and bi-folds would help I’d expect.
    Preferably wide angled so that the areas can be put in to perspective.

13. caley king

caley king Active Member

Here you go chaps

IMG_5097.JPG

14. pdc

pdc Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

What's the distance from the doors to the original floor?

15. caley king

caley king Active Member

5 meters pal.