Discuss New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

WetSaw

40mm where the new meets the old and 25mm max at the doors. 15mm at the doors doesn't give you much to play with once you have 10mm tile plus adhesive so you'll need to be careful. I think you'd lose the other 15mm over a 5m span without noticing.

D

Deleted member 51481

Thanks but how do I create the 20mm fall needed between the existing floor and new bifold door cills with backer boards please?

D

Deleted member 51481

Okay, are you aware of any foam boards that increase in thickness in smaller increments than 10mm please

O

Old Mod

Using a combination of flat and wedge boards you can pretty much cope with any slope.

8C58E109-28F7-4A06-AF92-BF0C18900E5C.jpeg

D

Deleted member 51481

Thanks, they're not cheap though at £150 per sheet 1200mm x 1200mm. I don't need waterproof versions so are there cheaper alternatives please as had a search and can't locate anything similar?

D

Dumbo

Thanks, they're not cheap though at £150 per sheet 1200mm x 1200mm. I don't need waterproof versions so are there cheaper alternatives please as had a search and can't locate anything similar?
Who is going to do this work for you or are you doing yourself . Because you need somebody that can think laterally and has a decent skill set to get what you want to achieve and for it to look good .

D

Deleted member 51481

To be honest I was hoping to do it myself if it was straight forward and level but open to advice if you think it will be a nightmare having to deal with the levels.

D

Deleted member 51481

Incidently the tiles are quite large 800mm x 400mm so I would imagine they're not as forgiving as smaller tiles.

D

Dumbo

Incidently the tiles are quite large 800mm x 400mm so I would imagine they're not as forgiving as smaller tiles.
To be honest although there are some tiling gods on here that deal extra large format on a daily basis 800 x400 is still a large tile for a lot of people . Personally I think you may struggle but I don't know how useful you are at taking advice and transferring that to what you are doing .

D

Deleted member 51481

With the right advice and preparation I'm fairly confident I can achieve an acceptable finish that will last. It may not be perfect but as long as it's done properly then I would be satisfied.

W

WetSaw

The problem you have is getting the floor flat ( not level ). You'll need to be meticulous in the subfloor preparation and as you have various differing levels to begin with it won't be easy and with only 15mm at the doors you can't afford to make any mistakes. With that size tile you want to get it as flat as possible.

Reply to New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks