Search the forum,

Discuss Marble with brown stains in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

noobtiler

Hi again guys, I decided to go with the 2mm gaps in the end but Ive now laid half the bathroom floor 2 m2 with white marble 600 x 600 tiles and ia couple hours after laying light brown coffee/tar stains appeared on the edges of my tiles. I can only put it down to putting too much adhesive near the edges of the tiles then when levelling causing adhesive to pop through the grout gap and got quite wet. Its only on areas where this happened. Tiles are 18mm thick, I used ardex x77 and mapei kieraquick both white adhesive. Tiles weren't sealed so not sure if that matters. And was laying onto itra matting..PLease help

p.s clients dont drink coffee so cant blame them:thumbsdown:

D

david campbell

sounds like your tiles have stained with the adhesive,it's always a good idea to seal them first if you can't guarentee you will be able to work cleanly!
you can get a product from lithofin called MN power clean that is for cleaning heavily soiled marble,you can mail order from diatech scotland

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noobtiler

No where else has stained only the egdes. Ardex say it shouldnt stain and another tiler who has laid alot of marble says that can happen and will dry out to white, just want another opinion..:mad2:

D

DHTiling

Leave it to dry before you use anything....picture frame wetting can happen on certain types of stone.

D

DHTiling

Not normaly...but depends on the marble and veining...

I would leave it and see if it dries...we had one a couple weeks or so ago on here and it dried out...

C

CJ CERAMICS

have had white marble go almost translucent on the edges when first layed due to moisture from addy seeping through fissures/veins in tiles which were not noticable before laying. dried out clean before grouting. id do as others have said and see how they dry out:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

So guys what would you do about sealing here? If it is just wetting from the addy would you wait until it had dried out or would you seal anyway?... (maybe i'm gonna answer my own question here) i suppose you'd have to wait to make sure it really is wetting or you'd seal any stains in.

But if you were sure it's wetting, would you seal? and if so would you still use a solvent based sealer or would you go for a water based one to be on the safe side?

Reply to Marble with brown stains in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen