Currently reading:
Marble with brown stains

Discuss Marble with brown stains in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

noobtiler

Hi again guys, I decided to go with the 2mm gaps in the end but Ive now laid half the bathroom floor 2 m2 with white marble 600 x 600 tiles and ia couple hours after laying light brown coffee/tar stains appeared on the edges of my tiles. I can only put it down to putting too much adhesive near the edges of the tiles then when levelling causing adhesive to pop through the grout gap and got quite wet. Its only on areas where this happened. Tiles are 18mm thick, I used ardex x77 and mapei kieraquick both white adhesive. Tiles weren't sealed so not sure if that matters. And was laying onto itra matting..PLease help

p.s clients dont drink coffee so cant blame them:thumbsdown:

C

Colour Republic

So guys what would you do about sealing here? If it is just wetting from the addy would you wait until it had dried out or would you seal anyway?... (maybe i'm gonna answer my own question here) i suppose you'd have to wait to make sure it really is wetting or you'd seal any stains in.

But if you were sure it's wetting, would you seal? and if so would you still use a solvent based sealer or would you go for a water based one to be on the safe side?

D

DHTiling

I have never sealed the underside...not something i would contemplate either...

If a stone is suspect of darkening from adhesive then i flat blade the back of the tile with adhesive then the colour change is uniform...this should be done anyway with translucent tiles..

sealing the underside and edges imo is a waste of time...and could hinder the adhesion process depending on the type used..

D

DHTiling

hmmm I thought i had read somewhere that sealing the underside and sides actually assisted adhesion

why wouldn't you seal a damp tile with a sealer as long as it was water based and breathable?

tel

I remember the thread as well but more peeps were against the idea than for it...

It's not something i woul do personally but if you feel it is advisable then thats your choice..i cannot see any benefit of sealing the under side of a tile IMO..
Adhesive griups into the capilaries of the tile so sealing them will hinder as far as i'm concerned...a bit like sealing unfilled travertine before grouting then the grout pops out where it can't grip the sealer....

As for sealing a wet tile with water based sealer...the water is the carrier not the sealer...but i don't use water based anyway...have you any product data for a water based sealer that can be used on wet tiles..apart from these aerosol diy stuff thats about..?

T

Terry Cottar

Aqua mix water based sealer says you need to wait 48hrs after grouting to apply sealer. So even using waterbased sealers you have to wait. :thumbsup:

true but it also says you can apply as soon as the surface is dry. i have applied gallons of the stuff to damp tiles and never had a problem as long as the surface of the tile is dry it works for me. however it does not become effective until the tile is total dry:thumbsup:

tel

C

Colour Republic

The product I had in mind when I asked the question was Lithofin Stain Stop (the water based version of course).

Thinking about it now, If you paint over plaster that has a few damp areas with a water based paint like a vinyl matt emulsion if reacts differently and is clearly visable where it doesn't soak into the plaster but rather sits on the top. You would think that it might just be slightly diluted in that area but becuase the area is already damp the product is not drawn in to the surface so it does not bond as well - I suppose the same could be said for a sealer

T

Terry Cottar

The product I had in mind when I asked the question was Lithofin Stain Stop (the water based version of course).

Thinking about it now, If you paint over plaster that has a few damp areas with a water based paint like a vinyl matt emulsion if reacts differently and is clearly visable where it doesn't soak into the plaster but rather sits on the top. You would think that it might just be slightly diluted in that area but becuase the area is already damp the product is not drawn in to the surface so it does not bond as well - I suppose the same could be said for a sealer

Well pointed out and have no idea about Lithofin as i hate the stuff I would agree in that instance but this aquamix sealer is breathable and allows vapour transmission so thats why its Ok once the surface is dry

tel

Reply to Marble with brown stains in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.