Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss mapei ultracolor plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

marko56

Have started to grout my kitchen floor with mapei ultracolor plus in beige - mixed to correct ratio but when dry the grout is nearer to an off white colour and is very patchy - what is the likely cause of this - also having trouble getting rid of haze from tile surface (glazed porcelain) - any advice appreciated.

D

DHTiling

Talk us through your mixing and washing off process...how long did you leave it before washing off and how much water did you use....did you use a scotch pad or just a sponge..?

M

marko56

Mixed by hand using measuring jug for water and scales for the powder - left it 25 -30 minutes before washing off using a sponge that had very little water - however, went back again after about 90 mins to try and get the haze off the tiles and used a smaller scourer type sponge which was quite wet and this may have got onto the grout line.

G

grumpygrouter

Mapei recommend mechanically mixing Ultracolor plus, also did you let it slake for about 3 mins before mixing again prior to grouting?

B

brian c

what mix did you use water to powder?If its not changed by tomoz,i suggest you take it out and do it again to the spec on the bag m8...i think you have had too weak a mix for the colour to come through...imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

May have left it a bit to long, an hour and half is a long time for the haze. Mapei is a rapid grout.

D

DHTiling

whats probably happened is when you have re-wet the grout you have brought polymers to the surface causing this patchy effect......rake out the bad bits and re-do.....or if it is too bad re-do the whole lot..

Next time don't leave it that long..5 mins or so max..work in small sections and use a scotch pad and sponge to clean, 2 wipes is usually sufficent...once washed leave to dry..do not re-wet....polish off once dry..

M

marko56

I mixed 1 kg with 200 mls of water - I did leave it for 3 mins before mixing again prior to grouting - I'll try the rest of the kitchen tomorrow using your suggestions and advice - when should I be polishing off Dave - how long before it's dry? - also what's the best way to get the old grout out and how much do I need to get out to ensure that the next lot of grout will be O.K. Whats the best way to get the haze off the bit that I've done (I actually grouted on Wednesday so has been down about a day and a half)

B

brian c

GROUT RAKE ,FEIN MULTI MASTER OR SIMILAR.GROU then rub grout line and if you think its dry enough.ie comes away flaky when rubbed then use sponge in a swirling motion and leave until a haze forms then use sponge damp not wet and wipe in long lines across the grout lines at an angle and you will be fine.Any haze then wipe with a dry towel to polish off.

B

bathroomboy

Iv'e bought some Mapei ultracolour for a wetroom, I usually use Dunlop or bal and just add water whilst mixing by hand to my desired consistency, I am taking it for granted that this method is also ok with the Mapei or is the method different for this type of grout?

G

grumpygrouter

If it is Ultracolor Plus then you need to follow the instructions on the bag carefully. It is a fast setting grout whcih gives excellent results if used correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bathroomboy

I meant add grout to water in my earlier reply, read the instructions for the Mapei grout and it says to mix the whole box to a certain measurment of water with a mechanical mixer, glad this post came up, because I would have overlooked this, will be grouting towards next weekend.

B

bathroomboy

Grouted with the mapei today, found I had to put a little more water than the reccomended 1 litre in the instructions as it was totaly unworkable at that consistency, only about 100ml though, good product, easier to work with than bal flexible which I find goes everywhere but where you want it on the wall. Lol

Reaction score
used ultracolour plus down at westfeild and had a few early problems with it but as the other guys have said

mix with whisk
leave to stand remix after 3 min
work small area at a time
beware of other factors that alter setting time ie tile type, heat,etc..
clean cold water with spongne/ washboy to wash off
change water often and clean out water bucket and spongne

Reply to mapei ultracolor plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks