Search the forum,

Discuss mapei ultracolor plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marko56

Have started to grout my kitchen floor with mapei ultracolor plus in beige - mixed to correct ratio but when dry the grout is nearer to an off white colour and is very patchy - what is the likely cause of this - also having trouble getting rid of haze from tile surface (glazed porcelain) - any advice appreciated.

D

DHTiling

Talk us through your mixing and washing off process...how long did you leave it before washing off and how much water did you use....did you use a scotch pad or just a sponge..?

M

marko56

Mixed by hand using measuring jug for water and scales for the powder - left it 25 -30 minutes before washing off using a sponge that had very little water - however, went back again after about 90 mins to try and get the haze off the tiles and used a smaller scourer type sponge which was quite wet and this may have got onto the grout line.

G

grumpygrouter

Mapei recommend mechanically mixing Ultracolor plus, also did you let it slake for about 3 mins before mixing again prior to grouting?

B

brian c

what mix did you use water to powder?If its not changed by tomoz,i suggest you take it out and do it again to the spec on the bag m8...i think you have had too weak a mix for the colour to come through...imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

May have left it a bit to long, an hour and half is a long time for the haze. Mapei is a rapid grout.

D

DHTiling

whats probably happened is when you have re-wet the grout you have brought polymers to the surface causing this patchy effect......rake out the bad bits and re-do.....or if it is too bad re-do the whole lot..

Next time don't leave it that long..5 mins or so max..work in small sections and use a scotch pad and sponge to clean, 2 wipes is usually sufficent...once washed leave to dry..do not re-wet....polish off once dry..

M

marko56

I mixed 1 kg with 200 mls of water - I did leave it for 3 mins before mixing again prior to grouting - I'll try the rest of the kitchen tomorrow using your suggestions and advice - when should I be polishing off Dave - how long before it's dry? - also what's the best way to get the old grout out and how much do I need to get out to ensure that the next lot of grout will be O.K. Whats the best way to get the haze off the bit that I've done (I actually grouted on Wednesday so has been down about a day and a half)

B

brian c

GROUT RAKE ,FEIN MULTI MASTER OR SIMILAR.GROU then rub grout line and if you think its dry enough.ie comes away flaky when rubbed then use sponge in a swirling motion and leave until a haze forms then use sponge damp not wet and wipe in long lines across the grout lines at an angle and you will be fine.Any haze then wipe with a dry towel to polish off.

Reply to mapei ultracolor plus in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen