Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei Primer G in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davphi338

Hi,

Would Mapei Primer G be a suitable primer for a concrete floor that is having porcelain tiles applied with flexible PCI adhesive.

Thanks

D

davphi338

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I couldn't find PCI primer locally so have got some Mapei Primer G and just wanted to ensure it was suitable for concrete floors and porcelain tiles. There is a residue on parts of the floor from old lino, so thought it best to prime.

Am I doing the right thing?

D

davphi338

I've tried to scrape off as much lino backing as possible but some of its just doesn't want to budge. I've used an industrial hot air gun and and even tried boiling hot water onto it to try and soften the adhesive but its still difficult to budge. Its as if there is waterproof paper stuck to the floor. Its obviously the final layer on the lino backing. If boiling water doesn't shift it then I'm starting to think that it should be OK to tiles over once primed.

D

DHTiling

You need to remove it.......

Try one of these attachments for a grinder..

Cupped Diamond Wheel

Fits standard type 115 mm angle grinders (100 mm x 22.2mm bore.)

Ideal for grinding away bumps in uneven concrete floors and keying old tiles or terrazzo before tiling

click picture to enlarge

weight 275g

Price: £18.88 £21.71 Including VAT at 15%

Wire Brush for Angle Grinder

A very aggressive wire brush for use in an angle grinder - You will be amazed how fast this works!

Use to remove all kinds of unwanted paint, adhesive, rust and other surface contaminants etc

Very good for 'keying' smooth surfaces.

- Hardend & twisted 0.5 mm steel strands
- 75 mm Diameter
- Standard M14 thread (fits all standard angle grinders)
- Max speed 12,500 Rpm

We recommend you wear suitable eye protection overalls and gloves while using this tool

Price: £4.49 £5.16 Including VAT at 15%

Both available from trade tiler.

Then you can prime and tile...some comps say don't mix primers but then an acrylic primer is a primer...

C

CJ CERAMICS

was in CTD today buying tiles for a customers wet room and had the same discussion with the guys in there( not me but another customer i was just eavesdropping) anyway the lads in there said that mapei adesilex p9 is perfect for concrete floor and has a built in primer? im not sure about this would love to know your feelings for future ref. cheers chris

D

DHTiling

P9 has a built in primer........:lol:...great advice NOT......

Ask them why does a gypsum substrate needed priming with P9 if it's built in..:smilewinkgrin:

Not all concrete floors need priming but priming can reduce the suction rate of the moisture and give more open time for adjustment...

C

CJ CERAMICS

P9 has a built in primer........:lol:...great advice NOT......

Ask them why does a gypsum substrate needed priming with P9 if it's built in..:smilewinkgrin:

Not all concrete floors need priming but priming can reduce the suction rate of the moisture and give more open time for adjustment...

cheers dave :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to Mapei Primer G in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen