Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

3. Trade Tiler for Tiling Tools

Before you post a new thread about manual tile cutters and which one to get, checkout the existing Manual Tile Cutter Threads.

Discuss Lazer levels looking to retire the spirit level :) in the Tiling Tools Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Steve Griffiths

Steve Griffiths Active Member

I have read through a load of old posts on the same subject so sorry to drag it up again but I have recently bought a dewalt https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dw088k-self-levelling-line-laser/38474
    and I was surprised how wide the line is and not that fussed on the red laszer, I had expected the beam to be a more thin and precice line?
    I have spotted this Bosch version too with a green lazer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-0603..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Z2EH4NY32BM065KXWMYR
    abd wondered if anyone has any experience of them?

There seems to be a big step up in price from these to the models I have seen some of you guys recommend and I am very interested what the difference would be in jumping up to double or even quadruple the cost, are they really night and day better?

Cheers

2. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

That’s a green colour Steve, not laser beam.
    You can’t buy a green laser for that money, they’re reassuringly expensive, even the cheap ones.

The most popular seems to be the Dewalt 089g 3 bean green laser, superb piece of kit, a true ons stop laser.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

You’ll never retire the spirit level in my opinion.

That said, I’ve not used a laser that’s any more than a couple of hundred.

As you’ve already mentioned, the laser line is too thick. Maybe I should look into a better laser. I don’t think I need to yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hmtiling

hmtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

If you're going to buy one, get a good one. I haven’t set out without one for years. The levels are now mostly straight edges.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve Griffiths

How thin would the line be on a dewalt like that?

6. Waluigi

How much are we talking for a good laser level gents.

And if anyone has a link for the OP that would be useful. I did have a quick search but there’s many similar lasers with slight variations in the ending digits

• Like Like x 1
  7. hmtiling

hmtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

8. Waluigi

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steve Griffiths

Only thing with that is I have gone all Makita for battery and charger simplicity, how thick would you say the line was on a wall etc and does it keep a consistant thickness over distance?
    I was hoping to find something that accepts AA etc batteries

10. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I also have the green DeWalt laser above and it totally changed my tiling life. I've achieved things I would never acheive with just spirit levels. For a professional tiler with many years of work, I always try and invest in the best I can. The cheap lasers aren't accurate enough either.
    Using the laser this week I have been preparing a floor for underfloor heating and it was terrible, as much as 35mm out of level across a large room of over 30sqm. I've got the floor level to within 2mm. You can't do that with a spirit level

• Like Like x 2
  11. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

The red DeWalt you have purchased is accurate to .3mm over a meter, so over a room of 8m you could be out by 2.5mm

12. antonio

antonio Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

the thinnest green I've seen is the bosch gll3 80 green.
    3 visibility settings.
    this is the difference between the bosch with the second light setting
    and one stabila, distant 50cm from the wall

20180616_064707.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Professional Tiler

What if you start from the middle? Then you possibly may be out by 1.25mm ........

• Like Like x 1
  14. pdc

pdc Professional Tiler

I'd be ecstatic if I was only out 2.5mm over 8m! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Steve Griffiths

Did you use the reciever and a staff to do that?