Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Laid Insulation Boards Without Adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stooboy

Hi Folks

After a bit of advice please. I am DIY installing elec UFH and tiles into my kitchen before the new kitchen is fitted. The floor is a concrete slab which I surfaced with a layer of flexible self levelling compound. Then laid 6mm polystyrene insulation boards onto which I laid the UFH mat and then another layer of the compound over the top. All went very well and I was pleased. Came down the next morning and 3 small areas had raised a fair bit forming a hump with a void underneath. The screed is so flexible that there were no cracks. 95% of the floor was nice and flat still. Now then, I now know that I stupidly stuck the 6mm boards down with spray glue (aerosol) thinking they just needed to stay in place during installation. I very carefully cut round the areas of matting where the lot had lifted, pulled it up and put adhesive under the affected boards and stuck back down flat, and re-covered with the compound. So the finished product is now flat and level. My fear is if I tile it and fit the kitchen, when the UFH gets turned on come the Autumn will the tiles lift and crack because the insulation boards are not stuck down? Or will the tiles hold it all in place? Tiles are 600x400. Am I worrying about nothing or am I right to worry and rip the lot out and start again?

Thanks in advance for and advice.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wouldn't be tiling anything until I was confident the boards were well and truly stuck to the floor ..

S

Stooboy

Wouldn't be tiling anything until I was confident the boards were well and truly stuck to the floor ..

Thanks for the quick reply Andy. I feard as much. The spray glue was rubbish so for the purposes of this thread we can assume that 95% of the boards are not stuck down at all! So I guess it's all got to come up and in the bin! Oh god!!

S

Stooboy

Sorry mate.....I know it's not what you want to hear but at least you've caught the problem now..

Agreed. I would hate for the new kitchen to go in and tiles to start lifting a few months down the line. Lesson learnt!!

F

Flintstone

The only way to solve it is all up and start a fresh. At least you haven't wasted any tiles.

J

J Sid

yes, will all have to come up, depending what the insulation boards are will determine the best way to proceed

S

Stooboy

Sounds like it will all have to come up.
Do you mean polystyrene or polyurethane boards?

I think it's Ekoboard? Says Thermopanel on the box! After the advice above I pulled it all up this evening! As you can imagine it was easy! Just pulled it up in huge panel size chunks!

I have MAPEI keraquick S1 rapid set flexible adhesive for the tiles. Can I use this to stick the insulation boards down?

And I'm using MAPEI Ultrplan renevation screed 3240 fibre reinforced self levelling compound to screed over the UFH mat. I'm I ok with this?

Cheers for your help guys!

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Also, once the UFH gets switched on and up to heat, the spray adhesive will probably soften and affect the lot.

Rip up, and start again.

O

Old Mod

I think it's Ekoboard? Says Thermopanel on the box! After the advice above I pulled it all up this evening! As you can imagine it was easy! Just pulled it up in huge panel size chunks!

I have MAPEI keraquick S1 rapid set flexible adhesive for the tiles. Can I use this to stick the insulation boards down?

And I'm using MAPEI Ultrplan renevation screed 3240 fibre reinforced self levelling compound to screed over the UFH mat. I'm I ok with this?

Cheers for your help guys!

Yes that's fine.
Floor Insulation for underfloor heating - EkoBOARD - uses & applications

Reply to Laid Insulation Boards Without Adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks