Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Keep tiles level in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
All
I want to put a single row of porcelain tiles on a bare brick outside wall. My intention is to glue and screw some hardiboard to the wall then adhere tiles on top. Finish up with some aluminium Strip on top and the sides
Question
Which is correct : keep the tiles a true level or follow the brickwork line (it drops about 1.5 cm over a 140cm length
Thanks in advance
JK

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You have no choice but to follow the fall of the brickwork as you are not tiling the vertical areas. Also you don't need to use Hardi as the brickwork solid enough to tile to and you won't be able to hide it anyway.

J

Jimbob 57

You have no choice but to follow the fall of the brickwork as you are not tiling the vertical areas. Also you don't need to use Hardi as the brickwork solid enough to tile to and you won't be able to hide it anyway.
Hi and many thanks for the reply. Thought I would use hardiboard just in case I wanted to take them down at a later date? Any idea what the going rate would be to lay 6 Tiles, not sure it would be worth a pro coming in for such a small job??

Thanks again

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If it were me, Can't say I'd be that interested unless the job was on my door step! You'll be fine. Use a powdered adhesive, go for a plastic edging strip rather than ali, and get one that's a good few millimeters deeper than the tile to allow for adhesive, e.g. if the tile is 8mm go for a 10mm profile.

Hardi should be mechanically fixed but also bedded onto adhesive, (according to Hardi's website), so removing it will be no easier than removing tile. As I said, you'll also see the sieds of the board as the edging strip will sit on top of it. As the board is 6mm, and I'm assuming the tile will be at least 8mm, you'll need an 18mm edging strip and I think the biggest made is around 15mm, (although I stand to be corrected on that!).

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
You don't need to bed the Hardie into adhesive for a wall install. If it were a floor, you would need the adhesive underneath to fill voids and prevent cracking.

I would personally also follow the brickwork as Mouldy has said. I personally think it will look best that way.

As for a price for a tiler coming to do that for you, I'd expect to pay them their full day rate, as it could only take a few hours, but they'll book nothing else in on the same day. So somewhere between £200 - £450 depending on where you are.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
You are perfectly within your right to stick tiles straight to bricks !!! For some reason I never once have done so in over 20 years as a tiler !! Oh except when using sand and cement !!

Reply to Keep tiles level in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks